Wooden door Catching

Have an old solid mahogony front door that has just started really sticking. Connected I think to the onset of the damp weather here.

For the life of me, i cannot see where its chaffing. There doesn't seem to be any scuff marks that i can see. Either on the door itself or the door frame. On the bottom is a small plastic strip that i dont think can offer any real resistance.

As a complete novice would be grateful for any tips on how to locate where it's catching, and the best tools to get to deal with it. Thanks.

Reply to
j t brooks

One tip I've heard is to cover the (relevant bits of) frame in chalk or talc, close the door and open it again and see where the chalk has rubbed off. I'd tighten and oil the hinges first, then check the latch/strike plate aren't sticking on each other before sanding bits off.

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

Tape newspaper to door or frame. Close, pull the paper. You'll soon see where its caught

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Rub chalk around the frame, that will show up the offending area.

Reply to
Old Git

Dodgy sanding the wet door as when it dries out it will be undersized. Unless it is the paint layer/build up that is now causing the sticking, in which case sanding to minimal paint cover or even to the wood is acceptable (FSVO). However I do agree with the tightening /oiling, reseat strike plates etc. Either live with the sticking in the winter or gaps in the summer. Candle wax on the rubbing areas may mitigate the sticking.

Reply to
soup