wood burner questions

Hi, I have read some postings related to this but not exactly the same. I have a 1930's house and the front room is a study. It has an original fireplace which has a flame effect gas fire in it. I assume it has the appropriate liner. In the room upstairs the corresponding fireplace has been blocked in, though there is an airbrick into the space.

I'd like to fit a wood burning stove but want to clarify a few things.

1) The existing gas fire will have a liner, but this is unsuitable for the higher temperatures of a wood burner

2) I'd need to get it removed.

3) Do I definitely need a stainless steel liner on my chimney for a wood burning stove ? Presumably once the fireplace burnt coal .

4) I understand from a local fireplace shop that it's quite legal for me to shut off and remove the existing fire assuming it has a double screw fitting (having shut off the gas first).

5) How much bigger does the hearth have to be than the stove ? I ask because my hearth is only 13" deep. I have my eye on a free standing stove which would sit on it, but that would leave little extra hearth space. This is apparently a new regulation according to the aforementioned fireplace shop.

6) Anyone recommend a good liner fitter in North Hampshire/Berks/ Surrey border area ? I'm looking at getting an old stove, so I'm not going to be buying the liner and stove in one single go.

Many thanks

Reply to
jives11

Probably. Flue liners are different specs for just abouyt every fuel/fireplace.

I would recommend it.

Pass. Don't do gas,. What gas? not seen it in 30 years.;-) Must bne in them new fangled 'towns'

IIRC its about 8" all round of non combustible.

Pass.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Very unlikely, there is no requirement for a liner for a gas fire.

[]
Reply to
Keith2.0

Hmmm, perhaps I confuse what is a liner with what is a flue, but I understood that for most recent fires (I'd guess mine is from the

1980's) a liner/flue was necessary to prevent gasses from leaking through the chimney masonry or other bricked up firepplaces and back into the house ?
Reply to
jives11

All chimneys were "lined" (or should have been). If the original mortar lining was in reasonable condition and the fireplace passed a smoke test, it will have been deemed suitable for a gas fire. It will probably be suitable for a coal fire and maybe a log fire too if in good condition but logs are cooler and tarrier and may require a new liner, which is, generally, a stainless steel tube.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Its in Building Regs part J(?). I thought 150mm at sides and back from combustible material/wall (i.e. nil clearance to brick) and the hearth must extend 150mm each side where the fire projects into the room. I can't remember the hearth projection at the front but at 300mm you would have to be very careful to avoid cosmetic burns to floor coverings when fueling.

Peterk

Reply to
PeterK

Thanks - I think I'm OK then. The kind of old stove I'm looking at is wide but not very deep, has no front doors and loads from the right hand side where I should have enough space.

behind will be tiled so clearance there can be pretty small, if I read you correctly

Reply to
jives11

What does this mortar lining look like? I've never seen anything other than bricks when I've peered up or down a chimney.

Reply to
Keith2.0

Just a thin layer of render on the face of the bricks. It generally is the source of all the anonymous lumps of mortar that fall down the chimney behind a gas fire! An previous house, built in the 1920's had a gas fire and then a real fire fitted by me and we decided the liner (or perhaps lining is a better term) was OK.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

See diagram at page 33 of the building regs at

. Note the use of the phrase "opening to the firebed" and not "front" therefore my interpretation is you need a hearth projecting 150mm in front of the stove but 225 OR 300mm at the fire door side.

PeterK

Reply to
PeterK