Wiring for video AND computers at the same time.

I would say definately go for fixed wiring and put in as many cat5 or cat6 as you pretty much can stuff in the walls. You can get adaptors, baluns and converters for almost anything concievable in a modern house that can run on cat5.

use any of them. The available bandwidth does not warrent that everybody starts using wireless and the more people that uses this the worse it gets.

I did, which confirms my warning above. It uses 54Mbps wireless so is even worse on bandwidth requirements.

It may still be a good device, provided you disable it's wireless capabilities and use cat5 and put it in a 100Mbps switches network, I think that i'll do that if I was in your situation :-)

/Morten

Reply to
Morten

Reminds me of yet another story. It's the one about the door to door salesman who sold wireless door bell systems all along one street. The door bells worked fine. No faults in their circuits or installation. But when number 23 had a caller at the door, numbers 20 through 31 also had their wireless door bell ringing. Wireless rocks !!! :-) LOL

Reply to
BigWallop

"Vortex" wrote | [Actually this stuff already exists if you are prepared to "Sell out" to | Bill Gates - in the form of Windows Media Center |

]

Already exists in open source software too; I happened to be reading about it the other day.

Building a Linux PVR part 1- Myth

a Linux PVR part 2 - Myth vs MCE
on an XBox
your XBox into a Linux Media PC

Owain

Yes of course Dave. I had subscribed to some of them before my system crashed and had to be rebuilt, just not yet got round to re-subscribing.

uk.tech.broadcast was my favourite, it would be a useful group to read but not to post to on this topic.

DG

Reply to
Derek *

is also a good starting point for some of the options

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Use a masthead or loft amplifier to boost and split to numerous TV sockets in all teh rooms. Works well for me.

Now, it might

No, not really. People want to control the thing themsleves. Theres enough battling going on on our house over what to watch without 'er indoors randomly changing stuff in my den etc :-)

get a video for every room that needs one. Cheaper in the long run.

With the emergence of PCs with TV (and huge

The best thing you can probbaly do is more or less what I did. Run coax and a couple of cat 5's to just about everywhere, and leave the arse ends of them coiled up in a room with a 19" rack in it, or indeed the loft.

Not all of it is connected, but the cables are there anyway.

Howevr my experience of wiring up offices sugesst that teh concept of future proofing is flawed: Who wopuld have guessed that 5 years on we would be lifting floors and laying multimode fibres? Or trhat the totality ofte p[hone wiring would be superceded by something else?

And of course Murphys law of employees alwas states that the one plave She will want a TV/PC/slaer guided missiles installation is the one place where there are no sockets, nor any chance of geting some..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

/Morten

Reply to
Morten

It did take me a bit of playing around. Once you have set the IP address of the client (on the server machine, I haven't tried multicast) and then started the client software on the remote machine, how far did it get?

One thing I found was that the pc's firewalls were getting in the way (Zonealarm on both and Nvidia on one). It doesn't appear to be a 'true' client/server configuration, in that the client seems to 'announce' its presence and the server then connects to it, which I had to set some rules in the firewall to allow.

One option would be to disconnect the internet side of your router so that you can turn off the firewalls and play safely. Then when you have everything working and the firewalls re-enabled, reconnect the internet side.

AIUI, if you have NAT enabled on your router you should be safe (relatively), but I am no expert (they all live in comp.security.firewalls and don't play nice with beginners)

To check, go to

and select 'Shields Up'. Opinions differ about the validity of 'Stealth mode' but as long as all your ports are listed as closed or stealth you should be safe (though no guarantees)

You may also need to set your network cards for 'optimise for throughput' rather than 'optimise for cpu'

HTH,

Chris

Reply to
Chris

In message , Lurch writes

Wossis, a ghost post ?

Reply to
raden

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 23:09:43 GMT, raden strung together this:

No, see other post with answer above!

Reply to
Lurch