Wireless card install (was PSU mystery)

So, thanks to y'all, I got the motherboard PSU working by shorting out the pins for the power switch - using the reset button it powers on and off fine.

But: the mystery deepens...the wireless network card drivers will not install - I've tried every way of getting the system to pick up on the drivers to no avail, every time the applcation cannot see the drivers even though system properties says device working properly. But: if i install the same card in an old borrowed win95 pc and swap harddrives for the one i've been using then the drivers are there and the card is recognised and ready to go. Swap card and harddrive back and it is no longer recognised. What gives? What is so odd about my system? I've replaced everything in turn....memory, motherboard, reformatted harddrive.

Any thoughts? (other than the obvious such as "why bother?" etc....)

Cheers, Mark, M/cr

to reply by email, please take the michael

Reply to
MarkD

Which operating system and which wireless network cards ? Are you sure the drivers available are for the operating system you have. It may be the Win95 drivers are there whereas you need to download ones for yours. I have seen hardware which assumes you have downloaded all the service packs available for your operating system at the time of the hardware's manufacture. Windows2000 without SP2 is a common example of this.

Reply to
Mike

If you use Win2k or XP you *might* be closer to an environment which might work. However it will obfuscate typical problems such as interrupt conflicts.

With Win9x you have a lost cause. MSFT pretends that it is an operating system but they speak with forked tongue. There is a whole case of Digestive Biscuits in Redmond.

Try moving the card to a different slot and resetting the BIOS.

Reply to
Andy Hall

snip...

snip again...

It's Win98SE with a BT1040 Voyager card (previously tried Asus with the same results). But I'm swapping the same harddrive and card to boot up from and it works. Swap the same hd back and it doesn't!

Thanks anyway!!!!

Cheers, Mark, M/cr

to reply by email, please take the michael

Reply to
MarkD

As another poster mentioned moving it to another slot might help as it will force windows to look for it again. PCI slots are paired as well IIRC so if you can move it more than one space.

Having said that it might never work. I have seen hardware that works fine in one machine refuse to work at all in another. This is particularly the case with cheaper hardware which I presume just isn't built to the same tolerance level.

If you have a dirty pin on the PCI card / socket pulling out and reinserting the card a couple of times occasionally helps.

Good luck, Graham

Reply to
doozer

In message , MarkD writes

The wireless card on my machine was very difficult until I read the small print where it says if running win XP install the drivers before putting the card into the machine, and install them without using the install wizard. This has worked fine on both mine and my husbands machines.

Reply to
Sue Begg

Okay. Didn't understand that first time. Is there a modem card in the newer computer (on motherboard perhaps ?) Try disabling or removing it.

Reply to
Mike