Window through chimney breast

I was just reading the thread 'Things that make simple jobs hard' and that reminded me to post this question. We're approaching the end of the kitchen refurb and a visiting friend said ' You know what you should do, you should put a window above the sink. Everybody says it's a good idea and we did in in our house and blah blah' so now I have to put a window above the sink, through an unused chimney breast. It'll be a small window (Wickes 40% off PCVu windows 620 wide x 1050 high) and I'll be going though a half brick breast and a full brick exterior wall (Victorian house)

Quite happy to knock holes in walls and put lintels in. It'll be set more or less flush to the outside, so there'll be a deep internal ledge Anybody done this and can give me any advice? The flue will still need to be vented, so will it be better to do that through the wall above the opening or at the top of the boxing out (does that make sense?).

Alistair

Reply to
Ali Mac

Just stick a TFT telly there instead of a window.

Reply to
Rob Morley

or as an interior-designer friend of mine did, an aquarium.

wasn't in the kitchen (living room), but looked stunning.

the fish may get a little nervous being in the kitchen though, especially if you keep lobsters in it....

Reply to
RichardS

hmmm.

cheaper - check choose any view you like - check always sunny outside - check instant fishtank - check can watch telly on it - check

verdict - it's a winner !!! top idea :D

RT

Reply to
[news]

What about support for the chimney breast? Have you've still got the stack on the roof? Do you share the stack with next door?

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Stuart Noble wrote:

a window into next door's fireplace ? is that what the OP wants ? :D

pilkington K won't be enough to reflect the heat and upvc for the frame is out of the question. who will be responsible for cleaning the window ?

RT

Reply to
[news]

Unless you plan to spend long periods standing at the sink, there is usually not a lot of point in putting a window there.

Not a window, but I did put the flue for a cooker hood through an old chimney breast. I suggest that you make sure the chimney has been really well swept before you start knocking holes in it.

If you put the vent into a horizontal surface, add a bit of ducting above the vent and fit an angle piece at the top, so that dirt cannot fall straight through and out of the vent.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

"nightjar .uk.com>"

Oh I disagree! Where else in a kitchen would you suggest putting window? Where else do you spend any time? At the cooker perhaps but it's not practical to have a window there.

At the sink you need light, more often than not you're creating a shadow over the sink from the general room lighting. Having artificial light over the sink is necessary when the sun's gone down but natural light is far better than artificial light in every way.

I've lived in four houses in my life, three had the sink at the window, one didn't. We only lived there for four years but I certainly wouldn't go back to a windowless sink, not even a screen or a fish tank would be a compensation.

We have a small sink (rather than a silly washbasin) in the bathroom. It's next to the window but since the glass was pebbled it might as well have been anywhere in the room. Spouse removed the casements and installed a single double glazed window, it's now a delight to do anything there, we can see the garden, the birds, the sky ...

It's probably a very personal preference but I'm sure I'm not unique, which is why there is a lot of point in having a window at a sink for many people.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

so now I have to put a window above the sink,

Hi Stuart

I'll put in an internal lintel to support the breast. The stack is joined, but through the party wall so that doesn't affect our plans.

Alistair

Reply to
Ali Mac

SNIP so now I have to put a window above the sink,

Great idea on so many levels! I've got an old camcorder I could stick through the outside wall and link it up to make a virtual window. Now all I've got to do is come up with a problem so immense that the window idea is knocked on the head........

Reply to
Ali Mac

"nightjar .uk.com>"

SNIP so now I have to put a window above the sink,

Thanks Colin, your post made me realise that since I'm piercing the wall to run the extractor hood vent through to the outside, then I might as well vent it there. Or even both. Thansk for the tip about the angled ducting.

Alistair

Reply to
Ali Mac

Brain gone again!

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Have you been arrested yet for public indecency ?

HTH

Paul.

Reply to
zymurgy

in a private place ? unlikely.

as far as I recall, women can't be arrested for public indecency, only blokes.

the lesbitarians can be arrested for gross public indecency though.

RT

Reply to
[news]

My kitchen has work areas down both long sides, with the window in one end wall.

I probably spend most time in the food preparation area, which is next to the cooker.

I don't recall the last time I needed to stand at the sink and, where I need light in the kitchen, I have local task lighting.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Hi Alistair

Don't you just love people who make helpful DIY suggestions?

My sister in law once suggested removing a 10' long x 6' deep x 4' high raised bed and extending our patio.............................................

Dave

Reply to
David Lang

I think the usual wisdom is the other way round.

If you are turning a room into a kitchen, then the best place to put the sink is under a window because you need all the wall you can get in kitchens for other stuff and you can't put anything much over a sink.

I don't think it follows that you have to put a window over the sink.

Reply to
Nick Atty

The hot water / central heating boiler is over mine.

I think the idea comes from the fact that, before dishwashers, people would spend a lot of time at the sink, so needed something to look at.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

I've NEVER seen a window under a sink.

But hey, whatever turns you on ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

"nightjar .uk.com>"

You - well, in this house we - still spend time at the sink. Washing dishes isn't the only activity there for many people, you know!

And it's not a matter of NEEDING something to look at either, just preferring to look into the garden rather than a wall or shelves or a boiler or whatever.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher