Window open or closed with damp carpet ?

Relative rented a carpet cleaner and washed the carpets in a small basement room four days ago.

Now there is panic, since the room is beginning to smell terribly and we guess the mould or whatever is having a good time under the carpet.

Our thinking at the moment is to use a small electric fan day and night to get the air moving.

We are unsure whether it's a good idea to leave the window open slightly to improve the air flow, but one resident does not agree with that because she thinks the cold damp air coming in from outside will make it worse.

So its window open or window closed? Grateful for suggestions. Thanks.

Reply to
Dave West

Open, otherwise you're just moving damp air around. Even better, hire a dehumidifier.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Open - not slightly but wide.

Reply to
polygonum

+1

Drhumidifier is the thing. Close the windows/doors up and get some heat on as well. Lift and prop up the carpets to let air circulate. The pong will disappear as it dries out.

Reply to
harryagain

Open, or its just damp air going round. 4 days is way too long.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Window wide open, carpet drying fan;