Wiki: 2 way mains lead

Well, I think its been outvoted. Lets not kid ourselves its by fact though, more by basic subject ignorance. Thats the limitation of wikis.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

But you still have to buy the four IEC leads and wire them up.

Reply to
whisky-dave

In article , Grimly Curmudgeon writes

Depends on the plug. The ones with a nylon cord grip are fine.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

But low power stuff like LCD monitors wouldn't overload a single plug and splitter to 2 IEC connectors.

But as you say, it's not ideal, when you can easily buy cable concentrators, or a multiway plug block (either 3 pin or female IEC).

For me, I usually use continental 3 pin multiway adapter blocks for my computers e.g.

the adaptors/plugs are much less bulky than the UK 13A ones.

P.

Reply to
zymurgy

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Mike Tomlinson saying something like:

Try tripping over one of the leads a couple of times and see how the cord grip resists the pull. I'm looking at one right now with a nylon grip that has allowed the leads to get pulled out. I made this one up about twelve years ago (the usual, temporary measure that got forgotten about) and it's never been tripped over, all that ever happened to that was normal use. As I said - temp bodge only to get out of trouble but not permanent. I most certainly would never leave a setup like that in anyone else's house - just asking for trouble.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Not as far as I know, we're just told we can't use shaver adapter plugs. of course this sort of directive rarley comes from anyone thast knows about anything other than administration and creating a meaningful job out of nothing. Normally I'd suggest that we would cut off the two pin socket and hardwire a proper 3 pin plug to it. Actually I should try to find oout whether this plug would be suitable, I'll get back to it, although this might take a few weeks ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

If I get some time I'll address the points raised in response to the proposed article.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

In article , whisky-dave writes

Not even the "proper" adaptors with fuses, e.g.

These are well made and I've used several.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

That would be an interesting shave with my braun, as what comes out of the 2-pin plug down the wire is something like 4VDC.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Interesting, so yuo have some sort of circuitry in your adapter ? Here we've had studetn runnig laptops off these shaver adapters plugs, or perhaps more correctly called Euro Two pin sockets.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Actually, it's 12V 7W (just checked).

A minature switch mode PSU in the plug I presume (no adapter).

A UK shaver plug has thicker pins on a narrower spacing than the Euro two pin plug (of which there is more than one type in any case).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Interesting, but brief...

Reply to
Huge

I got given a CB to repair once which the user had plugged into the mains.

About 25% of the board was charred. "Beyond economic repair".

Reply to
Huge