Wickes kitchens and soft closer fitting

Hi all

The last job to complete my new kitchen is to fix the soft closers to the doors and incredibly this is proving to be the most demanding task in the whole project :(

It's a Wickes kitchen and uses the Blum Blumotion Clip-On softclosers and as far as I can see they should simply push onto the hinge, however out of the

40 or so I've got to do I've only managed 3 ! No matter how hard I push the things won't click into place.

Am I doing something wrong or is there some mthyical zen technique that I need to master to get this done.

Cheers

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Are you sure the hinges and soft-closers match? My Wickes cabinets have another make of hinge - and Blumotion closers would not fit. And there are quite a few different Blumotion closer models.

When I used Blum hinges and closers on other cabinets I made, no problem. Just align, and sort of push/press and suddenly it is done. Removal similar - sort of pulling technique. Try doing it with a hinge not fitted - might just make it clearer what is needed.

Maybe looking here would help:

116 onwards.)

Reply to
Rod

You must become the hinge Grasshopper....

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Hi

Thanks for the input

Hopefully the hinges and closers should match, they were in the bags with each other and the hinges are stamped with the Blum logo

The 3 that did go together went in easily so am confused as to what the issue is with the rest.

I had already looked at the Blum catalogue which was as helpful as most sets of instructions :) Instalation is covered by the one picture, again which would imply that it should be simple.

I'll try again tomorrow after my arm has rested from the stress of futilely pressing bits of metal against each other.

Cheers

Jim

Reply to
Jim

The only options I can see on the Blumotion website are the two adapters plates which screw on to the hinge. Like these

the other option in the menu at the bottom of the page.

Are yours like these ones?

Reply to
BigWallop

and the other option in the menu at the bottom of the page.

I'm glad I read that back. I mean they screw on to the edge of the cupboard, between the hinges. (me being silly, again) :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

and the other option in the menu at the bottom of the page.

Blum do cruciform plate versions but I assumed that OP is referring to the ones with little bits that clip/click into place in a hole on the main part of the hinge.

Reply to
Rod

> and the other option in the menu at the bottom of the page.

The only clip in ones I've seen are for the drawer runners. Having them integrate with the door hinge is a new on me.

Further searching brings up these

which are retro fit dampers for existing Blum Hinges. There are three types. One has a hook shape on its belly to fit inside the gap between the arm and the body of the hinge, and clips back with a spring clip over the inside end of the hinge body.

One other has slide runners on it. This looks like it slides into grooves on the side of the body of the hinge.

The final one is a weird shape, with a long looking slide through that seems to fit right through the body of the hinge and the body of the damper.

So it depends on which system Jim is using.

Reply to
BigWallop

>> and the other option in the menu at the bottom of the page.

Whoops - I typed 116 in my first post, finger trouble, should have been

166. Drat.

I think OP was talking about 973A type with hook bits - probably 973A0500.01

And I have to say they work very well.

Reply to
Rod

>>> and the other option in the menu at the bottom of the page.

Ah Ha!!! Now I see them properly. Thanks for the PDF. Very helpful.

Still looks a difficult job, so I think Jim deserves his rest. :-) Poor man has done enough for today. lol

Thanks again for the reading material. It looks like a good system. Do they last the pace in a busy kitchen, do you think?

Reply to
BigWallop

Mine are fitted in cabinets not in my kitchen (our kitchen hinges are not Blum) - but I suggest they would likely last longer than the cabinets.

(And I would buy them from Isaac Lord - being almost able to see their shop from home!)

Reply to
Rod

Think you've hit the nail on the head Dave - it's all in the wrist :)

Just been playing about with them again and have cracked the technique. The rear of the fitting has a couple of hooks which look like you have to clip in place and the front has a springy bit which I assumed you pressed against and this snapped into the whole and locked evrything tight. However you need to locate the front of the closer first and then snap the back into place. This is totally the opposite to what I had been doing. They're going in a treat now so the kitchen will finally be completed tomorrow!

Thanks to all for the advice and suggestions

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Phew!!!!

Reply to
Rod

The rest of the hinge looks pretty standard, so is it possible to change all the hinges on any cupboard doors with these Blumotion type? Changing the holes for the recesses isn't a worry mind, so we would like to change ours over to soft closers. All we have now is a rubber stud to stop the doors slamming.

Isaac Lord looks good on price, so was thinking of putting in an order.

Reply to
BigWallop

Can't think of any problems beyond the obvious (screw and recess hole locations). Unless you have odd angles of door opening, etc. - but there will be a suitable Blum hinge.

If you will need new holes, I highly recommend the template:

Blum Mounting Plate Template

For use with Clip Top, Clip & Modul mounting plates ? (See mounting plate sections for relevant applications)

Stockcode: 65.5300

Reply to
Rod

Order is now done. Not to bad at just over 78 quid, for everything we need. Should spruce up our old kitchen units. Keep her indoors happy for Christmas. Just finished making all the new doors last spring time, so this'll just make them a bit more posh. :-)

Thanks guys. Very helpful thread this has been.

Reply to
BigWallop