Whose Porrige should have been coolest?

The contents of the bowl with bubbles is not homgeneous, the thermal resistance of the bubbles is different to that of the water so it complicates the model rather. I expect the rate of evaporation from the bowls will be rather different as well.

Henry

Reply to
Henry

The largest surface area will lost heat more quickly, but there is a greater mass and depth to consider.

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

What is porrige?

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Ah, I see you have been there before!!

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

I think OP meant porridge. The answer is that AOTBE the smallest cools quickest. The smaller a thing is the greater the ratio of surface area to volume. The amount of heat is proportional to the volume but the rate of heat loss is proportional to the surface area.

cheers

Jacob

Reply to
owdman

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@connectfree.co.uk saying something like:

If they'd been cooked in the microwave they'd all be blisteringly hot and remove the lining from the mouth, so it's a daft question.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

There is one outside the front door you know?

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

The OP put that in his text. If you think MF doesn't know what was meant, or would not be able to interpret porrage, porridge, porage, or even porige correctly, then you underestimate MF's deliberate obtuseness, IMO. Hopefully MF will not linger this time, but the apparent desire to troll may dismiss this hope.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I, too, noticed that. I gave now corrected the errant header. Both spelling mistooks and ghastly punctuation abound in wtitthen texts in the UK. And what is "porage", then? Always spelt thus as in Scott's Porage Oats! But, it does not have to be made from oats - could be concocted out of peas or certain kinds of beans. And "doing porridge" is slang for spending a correctional or penal time in gaol.

Reply to
Jim Gregory

And some golden syrup.

I had flu over the christmas/new year week and my next door neighbour brought me bowls of porridge. And home made steak pie on new year's day.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Nah - honey. Everybody knows that bears use honey.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Perhaps mummy bear couldn't get any honey that week because the bees Suspected Something.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Isn't it funny How a bear likes honey Buzz! Buzz! Buzz! I wonder why he does?

It's a very funny thought that, if Bears were Bees They'd build their nests at the bottom of trees And that being so (if Bees were Bears) We shouldn't have to climb up all these stairs

Reply to
Andy Hall

3/4 power (800 watt oven) and exactly 3 minutes. I do this every morning.

Dollop of preserved cranberries in the bottom before the oats, and don't skimp on the milk. No salt.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

All the talking ones, less the handful that prefer marmalade sandwiches.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

If they were China they'd be pandas. Whilst the species has been identified fairly recently as a type of bear, pandas are solitary animals.

Howevr they do eat predominantly cereal crops. Bamboo.

If the tale has a modicum of truth the bowls must have contained rice in the original translation. Perhaps the father bear would have had more curry powder on his?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Andy Dingley saying something like:

I only m/w porridge now, can't be arsed with the faffing about of boiling things in pots.

Yumm.

Heathen!

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

spoiled to death.. I say you were ruined:) Did she bring it sweetened???? and you in Schotland an all:))

Reply to
Ophelia

If they'd been cooked in my microwave there wouldn't be anything in the bowls because the flippin stuff always boils over.

I've gone back to the good old saucepan and hob method, which is (including cleaning time) far quicker than playing boily-milk lottery in the microwave.

-- Steve F

Reply to
Fitz

I just tried it in the microwave - it took longer than in a saucepan on the gas and was sorta lumpy. Most bears reckon it's best with carnation milk and a pinch of demerara sugar.

cheers

Biffo

Reply to
owdman