White Powder On Bricks!

Can anyone help me?

I have recently purchased a property which is 18 months old in Perth Scotland. The problem is that patches of whiote powder are appearing o the bottom few rows of bricks around the house! Any idea as to what ca be causing this?

Thank You,

Les Johnson

-- lesjohnson

Reply to
lesjohnson

Can anyone help me?

I have recently purchased a property which is 18 months old in Perth Scotland. The problem is that patches of white powder are appearing o the bottom few rows of bricks around the house! Any idea as to what ca be causing this?

Thank You,

Les Johnson

-- lesjohnson

Reply to
lesjohnson

Efflorescence of salts from the bricks, due to water allowing the salts to migrate. I believe it will cure itself in a few years.

Andy.

Reply to
andrewpreece

a few winters will get rid of it, its just the minearals leaching out.

Reply to
smudger

You can encourage it away by waiting until the bricks are bone dry this summer then brush off the salts

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England |""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs / ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc |____|

01359 230642

Reply to
Anna Kettle

Or you can slosh brick acid over it, but it will return until the stuff has all gone.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Possibly not. There's often an almost infinite supply of the mineral in the ground.

Reply to
Mike

Thanks very much for that! I am sure that this Scottish weather wil

wash it away

-- lesjohnson

Reply to
lesjohnson

Yeah but as long as the DPC is intact it's going to find it difficult to get up to the bricks.

Reply to
adder1969