Which nails to use

well I dont want to say you are in any way wrong but 52 years using nails perhaps speaks for itself and you may be so set in your ways that you are not be able to change your ways. I wonder if you still use the old tar felt that caused so many houses to burn so rapidly. dont you think that was a stupid material to use on a roof?

For example some people who used ordinary screws before they found the phillips screws were reluctant to change and wouldnt even try one because they were so big headed.

The same can be said about the pop rivet which are so bloody inferior to a tech screw but some people still use them and swear by them for every job they do.

Tools and materials are changing all the time and traditional workers hate change so your opinion is noted but I would like to hear some more.

Reply to
noelogara

No Im not fixed in my ways.We have to use the nails fixings that are stipulated by the recommendation by the BS code of practis

Absouluty, Ive oftern wonder why the wasnt more fires. In the roofing trade the use of bitumin type 1F felt is now praticaly not used. It heavy and tears easy. It never did cause the fire but help spread the flames by melting and dripping. Tar paper was the worst. Best thing out is the new spun polyester type. Mind you have you seen what happens to that when heat is applied, BIG HOLES.

I find Phillip head screws brilliant, especaily with cordess drivers

Sorry cant coment on theses as I dont use them

Not in the construction trade, anything that makes work quicker and easyier. Cordless tools, Paslode nailers, power planers, throw away saws and what a differance diamond blades made.

Reply to
keith_765

Wossat then? I use pop rivets occasionally for things like mudguards on bikes. I'm not convinced a screw would be any better..

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

the tech screw has a hex head and is made like a screw with a drill bit at its head. You drive it with a tech screw holder in the drill costs two or three quid. Best invention since sliced bread but perhaps not for mudguards on bikes as the head would show but for most jobs fixing metals. I use them to drill holes in steel because they are quicker to drill steel than an ordinary drill bit. They are brilliant for fixing loose slates on a roof if you drill the hole first with a steel boring screw and then put a wood boring tech screw into the slate. Saves ripping out the slate and using strips of lead like they used to do.

Reply to
noelogara