Where might I get LARGE bolts

I am trying to fabricate a lock for a trailer and need to find a 'pin' of 10mm x 15mm steel, with a head at one end and a hole in the other.

I was thinking that if I could get hold of an M16 bolt, I could grind it down into an oval cross section and dill a hole in the end.

But where might I get a large bolt like this? I 12mm is the bigest I can find. What sort of industry use bolts of this size??

Any info would be appreciated

Jon

Reply to
Jon Weaver

Spouse says he has a length of about 3/4" diameter (threaded) stainless steel bar, would this do? Failing that he has 3/4" mild steel black bar.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

try:

IMM

Look in Yellow Pages under fastening suppliers. Most will have a trade counter, where you can buy small quantities and bolts much larger than a mere M16. If you tell them what you want the pin for, they are quite likely to have something even closer to your actual need.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Find a local agricultural supplier, they might even have something fairly close to what you want for similar jobs on tractors and suchlike.

Reply to
James Hart

AKA clevis pin ?? See

ideas

Reply to
Tony Bryer

If you get stuck, let me have the exact dimensions, preferably with a drawing and I will make you one for the cost of materials and p&p e-mail mick11.at. mick11.karoo.co.uk mouse

Reply to
mouse

1) If you can get some suitably wide steel bar, then laminate the shape you need with 2 part epoxy glue to correct thickness 2) Clerkenwell Screw Co on Clarkenwell Rd, London does *bloody big* bolts, though that's no use unless you're in central Ldn 3) Agricultural machinery supplier?? I'm sure if you were able to call in as a personal customer they'd sell you one big bolt. I'd even try any garage that services lorries/large vehicles.

Don't forget to use cutting paste/ compound when drilling that big hole. A drill press will be very advantageous if you have access to one.

John Forbes

Reply to
John Forbes

What about tow-ball mounting bolts - M16 and available in different lengths. I believe the trailer industry use these sometimes :-)

Alan Shilling Remove packaging from e-mail address before replying

Reply to
Alan Shilling