When was cavity wall insulation on new homes introduced

As subject really. When was it the norm for cavity wall insulation to be added to new build houses?

Reply to
Slider

I was amazed that our house built in 1970 had it, fibreglass sheets. Must have been a bit ahead of its time!

Reply to
m_d_allen

Ours built in 1998 didn't, but the construction of the inner leaf is white thermalite blocks which are then dry lined. I suspect that it is controlled by u-value as a previous house built in 1990 had the same construction and I was told by the builder that he had chosen that method of construction to avoid having to insulate the cavity as he thought that this was best avoided (not a cowboy but a small developer of upmarket homes). When we had an extension built on our ptesent house around 2003, the construction was the same but the cavity had to be insulated. I suspect that this is changing building regs increasing the insulation requirement.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm

No, it was standard in the Stoke on Trent area for all newbuild houses built by the local authority in the early seventies (along with a few other new inovationtions that are now standard) - they had a female architect there who was certainly well ahead of her time!

Tanner-'op

Reply to
Tanner-'op