Wheelbarrow nuts & bolts

The wheels on 3 wheelbarrows on our allotments need replacing. The axle mounts all have the same nuts & bolts; a bolt with a very shallow head (approx 1" diam) with an equally shallow cross thread in it. What's the canonical way of getting purchase on it so that I can actually unscrew them? I'm beginning to think that using this hardware is built-in obsolescence and that I'll have to reach for the angle grinder; but before I do am I missing something?

Thanks, Douglas de Lacey

Reply to
Douglas de Lacey

Hacksaw (or angle g.) to make slot in head deep enough for your favourite chunky screwdriver

Reply to
JTM

Place a nut on the head and weld it via the threaded hole in the nut, if you have a welder. The only other option is to angle grind them off.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Only way to grip roofing bolt heads is with a screwdriver, unless you weld or grind.

NT

Reply to
NT

Thanks, that seems definitive. I actually have a cold chisel wider than any screwdriver and thin enough to fit the slot, but can't get enough purchase on it, the bold head is far to shallow. I don't do welding, so the angle grinder it is. Many thanks. Douglas de Lacey

Reply to
Douglas de Lacey