What to do with sawdust?

Having cut a couple of stere of logs into manageable lengths yesterday I've now got a pile of sawdust to get rid of.

It doesn't seem to compost very well, and it smothers the bonfire. In the past I've ended up taking bags of it to the tip, so does anyone have methods of using it up?

John

Reply to
JTM

JTM gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Freecycle it as bedding for hamsters etc?

Reply to
Adrian

I'd fork it into the garden. It'll break down in time, and will improve soil structure in the meantime.

Reply to
stuart noble

I hoof most of it into our woodland (so long as it's not treated stuff) - it'll rot eventually. I keep a pot around in the workshop though; it's useful for soaking up spills.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Put it in with the pigs - they'll love it. My sow and eleven weaners have nicely composted four two ton dumper trucks full of shredded tree tops in about two months. Routing about, crapping on it and generally mucking it up it's now closely resemblimg decent earth!

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Anyone that keeps horses will welcome free sawdust.

Reply to
dom

No immediate suggestion other than the brown (garden) rubbish bin where mine goes.

BUT I did have to go and look up STERE which I didn't know - a cubic metre of loose wood. I must try that on my log supplier.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

New one on me too. seems to comprise 2/3 of a m^3 of wood and 1/3 of a m^3 of air.

Reply to
Andy Burns

It's not much good as bedding. It irritates eyes etc. Woodshavings are better.

Reply to
John Whitworth

weed mulch, Its brilliant for hat.

breaks down in about 3-5 years.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yup, I spread my sawdust on the flowerbeds, too - though it does tend to blow about a bit if spread on exposed areas. I mostly use it in near the fences and around large bushes and think (hope?) that it might even provide food or shelter for insects to keep the food chain going during the winter.

Reply to
pete

I seem to remember my father mixing sawdust with a small amount of cement then just damping it with water before making it into "bricks" which we burned insted of coal. Mind you I am going back into the

50s. before Greenpeace and the smoke bogie.
Reply to
struggler

Sell to the Tesco sasuage factory.

Reply to
Bob Eager

A weed-mulch hat! Hey, not bad!

Reply to
Tim Streater

Darn, I was going to suggest that.

Send it to a Liverpool pub for use on the floor.....

Reply to
Martop

To soak up the blood after the usual saturday night bundle.

Reply to
1501

Chainsaw "sawdust" is OK, as it's chips, not dust.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I find its possible to burn the coarser stuff like shavings from the thicknesser. Lob it on a bonfire mixed with larger lumps of waste wood, it simmers away for a good while. Helps if you give it a stir from time to time. Got shot of a dustbin laod that way yesterday.

Reply to
John Rumm

Too good for them.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Mix it with some honey and nuts and sell it to your local health food store as breakfast cereal.

Use it for restuffing old teddy bears.

Owain

Reply to
Owain