What sort of plaster was it then?

I'm curious - anyone able to suggest what the following was?

Did a small job earlier today, thought I was dealing with plasterboard. But maybe I wasn't....

Drilled a small hole for a rawlplug. The "plasterboard" was a bit crumbly. Started to screw into the rawlplug and it basically tore itself a bigger hole because the plasterboard gave way. Solved the problem with a captive bolt which has one of those expanding flippers you push thru the hole.

Not a modern house, must be 1930's or possibly much earlier (end of

19th century?).

This was a plasterboard type of arrangement because there was an airgap behind, then a wall (another plasterboard sheet) on the far side.

This wasn't lath and plaster because I can spot that a mile off. So I'm wondering what I was dealing with! Was there an early version of plasterboard before the modern stuff came out?

PoP

Reply to
PoP

Was the plasterboard anywhere that could have been continuously wet at some point in the past? I had some plasterboard round a dormer window that had been wet regularly over a long period of time, and it had become so weak that you could basically poke your fingers through it.

Ben.

Reply to
Ben Schofield

Possibly low density fibreboard. The 1930's house I grew up in had the crap everywhere, even a couple of the ceilings. On the plus side, it did insulate slightly better than bare plasterboard.

It wasn't fireproof either...

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Fibreboard was extensively used to repair war damage in the late 1940's

Andrew Mawson

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Damn! Now I know why my head itches.