What's the term I'm after...?

Looking at the edge of a house roof. There's mortar along the edge of the tiles (or, rather, there's some mortar left...). Under the tiles, there's some sort of odd thin board stuff covering the underside of the return, going along to the facia board.

I'm going to have to replace the facia, and re-mortar the edge of the tiles, but wth am I after for the bit under the tiles?

Reply to
Adrian

Possibly asbestos based soffit board, cover it with uPVC soffit, then the 'L' edge of the uPVC fascia will cover the join, wear a dustmask while screwing into the old soffit (white screw cups/heads quite inconspicuous from ground level).

Reply to
Andy Burns

Look at dry verge systems before you decide to replace the stuff.

Reply to
dennis

Some of those look quite ugly compared to just repairing the cement ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yup - those shoe-box sized clip-on Lego bricks look horrible. Is there really no flexible, UV-resistant (and cheap) alternative to mortar? That always cracks after a few years.

Reply to
Reentrant

AFAIK that's called undercloaking. Not 100%

Reply to
Nick

Ta!

Reply to
Adrian

Sounds like Harry Potter's shreddies...

Yep - it's the exact thing I'm thinking of.

Adrian

It's called 'undercloaking' in the trade, and is fibre re-inforced cement about 150 mm wide and comes in various lengths

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Except, I'm not sure I correctly understood what you meant ... It might still be asbestos, or offcuts of slate, or something completely different!

Reply to
Andy Burns

The undercloaking is the boy.

Reply to
Adrian

today it won't be asbestos, but a glass (usually) reinforced cement board.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher