What's happened to the PavingExpert site ???

Thanks for the UKC pics link. I was there 1972-75 and used the KOS set up I even remember my user ID - CCT019 sad or what! I was taught by both Peter (Mr KOS) and Heather Brown. Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Aha...you're THAT Minchin! I was a postgrad there for your last year...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Computing and Cybernetics, then. You probably remember Tony West - who eventually became a Sun vice-president, and is a reason why we now have such close links with Sun!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Oh! Did I make some sort of impression then? I tend to keep a low profile most of the time.

Yes I did the Computing & Cybernetics degree course but then moved back to my hobby roots and have been working at Roke Manor Research in radio related electronics ever since (33+ years!) I don't recall your name from those days but I guess you might have done a few tutorial sessions for my course. Is the CC course still run these days?

Regards

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

There weren't many of you in those days...

Probably, may have been PDP-11 assembler! We moved on to get what is supposed to have been the first UNIX system in England, in 1976.

It became an unpopular name...it's now the Computer Systems Engineering course. We run many other courses though...straight CS with about half a dozen variations (networks, AI, business, etc.) and a few other things.

Bob Eager

enter anthea anthea not available now

Reply to
Huge

Keynes, NS, 72-75.

Reply to
Huge

Reply to
Huge

Agreed.

Me too.

Mine was something like BU002 - Biology Undergraduate.

Prof.Brown took my 1st year Computing course.

Reply to
Huge

That would be BIU002.

A few years later and I was teaching that (the same course I'd taken as an undergraduate!)

Reply to
Bob Eager

Yes, I still remember Anthea!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Me too. :o)

Reply to
Huge

That's the one. The second person in Bilgy ever to get a username. After Alan.

That must have been spooky.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be, is it?

Reply to
Huge

Oh I thiught it was

$ make love. $ I don't know how to make love, sorry.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Anthea was a rather attractive (at least so far as I recall) post-grad who did support in the computer lab. The command "enter {subsystemname}" was a KOS (Kent On-line System) command to run a subsystem. Hence the rather juvenile "enter anthea" and the corresponding error message.

Sun seem to have broken that;

[huge@anubis ~]: make love make: Fatal error: Don't know how to make target `love'

Humourless gits. They've taken the joke out of the tunefs man page, too. No wonder their share price is down the toilet.

Reply to
Huge

and frighteningly intelligent

That actually predates UNIX make. It was a shorthand command on TOPS-10 (early 1970s) to invoke the editor to create a new file. And that's what it said! UNIX make just nicked it!

I'd forgotten about that one. Still there in FreeBSD...for the benefit of readers...

" You can tune a file system, but you cannot tune a fish."

Reply to
Bob Eager

I cannot remember where that particular anecdote comes from. Possibly a C cross compile system with a 3rd party make.

Or perhaps some wag had patched make and recompiled it themselves.

The more amusing thing one used to do was to start a little program on someones terminal at lunch, that presented a login prompt.

On any login/password it would spool the entire file of text errors to the bemused and panicky user...

Id forgot that one.

I remember a phone call 'what does 'indirection error in line 57 ' mean

"It means you haven't paid me for a new demonstration copy'

That was the same d*****ad a friend of mine did some embedded sofware for.. on a telephone system..it took over a year before a bored receptionist noticed that every hour on the hour it flashed up 'scientists say no to SDI' on the LCD panel ..;-)

..then was the apocryphal story of a Johannesburg IT firm whose program crashed periodically once a year..in Durban,.. It took three years before it was realized that the programmer dispatched to fix it was keen horse racing follower, and the failures always coincided with the main race of the year....

I believe he was fired.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

% got a light? No match %

% man: why did you get a divorce? man:: Too many arguments %

% ping elvis elvis is alive %

a20% "How would you rate Brown's incompitence? Unmatched " %

There are several more historic ones I have which no longer work due to changes over the years (mostly improved error messages), like the make love/make war ones.

Of course there are always those who think unix isn't sexy, but they've simply never spend a night in /bin...

look chat touch unzip head finger nice yes expand mount vgrind fsck eject more yes fsck eject umount sag zip sleep

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

And every network should have a machine called elvis for this very reason.

Reply to
Huge

You can still create a file called 'readme' in someone's home directory containing just the text: "readme: No such file or directory" for hours of fun...

Reply to
PCPaul