What kind of oil is used in large electrical transformers?

We are on the end of a 350 ish m long single phase spur just for us. There are two poles supporting the spur between us and the main line. The 350 m horizontal distance isn't a problem, however there is a 70 m (230') height difference. That first supporting pole may only be

100 m away but it's 20+ m (70 odd foot) lower, going down is OK coming back up that 1:5 is. B-)

Grazing only up here. ENW came around last year IIRC and replaced the two stays from pole top to ground anchor, fitted new cutout much higher up the pole and replaced the cables to/from it, fitted new "crown of thorns". Transformer and two wire open line feed to building where it changes to concentric all unrouched.

It's that open line feed and rusty transformer that normally produce comment from the engineers. The transformer particulary so when they look at the meter board and find a 100A cutout, 2 ordinary and one E7 supply all off that feed and AIUI 16 kVA transformer...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I believe SF6 is the correct symbol for sodium hexaflouride.

Ash Burton

Special salt for making six-sided loaves? That'd be NaF6, not SF6.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Ash Burton

This is true but switchgear is filled with Sulphor Hexafluoride so SF6 is correct.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I didn't claim otherwise ... I think we're supposed to spell sulphur as sulfur these days.

Reply to
Andy Burns

You might, I won't.

Reply to
Davey

Sulfur is historically a Latin word. The original Latin spelling was sulpur, but this was Hellenized to sulphur; the form sulfur appears toward the end of the Classical period. (The true Greek word for sulfur, ?????, is the source of the international chemical prefix thio-.) In

12th-century Anglo-French, it was sulfre; in the 14th century the Latin ph was restored, for sulphre; and by the 15th century the full Latin spelling was restored, for sulfur, sulphur. The parallel f~ph spellings continued in Britain until the 19th century, when the word was standardized as sulphur.[6] Sulfur was the form chosen in the United States, whereas Canada uses both. However, the IUPAC adopted the spelling sulfur in 1990, as did the Nomenclature Committee of the Royal Society of Chemistry in 1992, restoring the spelling sulfur to Britain.[7] The Oxford Dictionaries note that "in chemistry ... the -f- spelling is now the standard form in all related words in the field in both British and US contexts."

(Wikipedia).

So let's all settle on Theios...

Though I think I'll stay with sulphur.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

+1

Today is Pungenday, the 55th day of Discord in the YOLD 3181 I don't have an attitude problem. If you have a problem with my attitude, that's your problem.

Reply to
Huge