what is contact cement?

hi there, why is contact cement named this way? what is to be meant by having contact in the name? thanks,
Sam
It's glue that sticks together on contact [with glue put on the other surface to be glued]
dg

With a lot of them you wait until both surfaces to be stuck together are touch-dry before bringing them into contact with each other.
Sam wrote:

Sam,
Very simply contact cement (or adhesive) is a compound that will "stick" virtually upon contact as opposed to having to wait for it to set.
An example is Evostik contact adhesive - after applying this to both surfaces of the parts being joined, you then wait for it to go "touch" dry and bring the two parts together and upon contact, they will immediately "stick".
Hope this helps
Brian
On 27 Sep 2003 07:01:01 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Sam) wrote:

You spread the glue onto both surfaces to be bonded, then wait for it to dry. When the surfaces are brought together they bond instantly.
Used for gluing things like the ends of kitchen worktops. One of the drawbacks of this type of glue is that there is no leeway for repositioning - once its stuck it is stuck and you don't get any time to position the workpiece after the surfaces are brought together.
Evo-stik is the best known make.
I'm not sure where it stands in terms of stickability compared with other glues. I know in the past I've managed to pull two surfaces bonded with Evo-stik apart, but that may have been due to poor preparation when those surfaces were originally stuck together.
PoP
Sam wrote:

AKA "Impact Adhesive"
--
Cheers,

John.

if you don't know what contact cement is, i'd say you have been sniffing too much glue ...... is this a wind up?