What central heating system have I got?

Hi,

I have a gas boiler in the garage. From this a pipe leads into my airing cupboard, where there is a pump at the top of it, and some form of valve. The valve seems to send the hot water either to the adjacent cylinder, or around the hot water system. There are a number of radiators around the house, each of which has a thermostatic valve, and there is no other thermostat. The system was obviously done in at least two stages, as a few older radiators have a bleed key, but most of the newer radiators don't. There is a timer/programmer (newly replaced, thanks to help given in a previous thread) also in the airing cupboard.

Any information about what kind of system this is, and any tips for things to look out for/make sure to do etc., would be most appreciated.

Thanks, Michael

Reply to
Michael Hopkins

Sounds like fully pumped Y-plan. Add a programmable room thermostat and you'll be up to full modern spec for controls, provided the cylinder is properly insulated and has a cylinder stat already. If not, insulate it and add a cylinder stat...

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

All radiators do (that I've seen). On newer Barlo/Quinn rads the bleed screw is on the face of the panel nearest the wall on single rads and facing in to the gap between the panels on double panel rads. The bleed screws may be covered with plastic caps.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Which makes them very hard to spot - which is I suppose why they are there!

Reply to
Ed Sirett

And 'kin awkward to get a bleeding key into - especially when there is a radiator shelf over the top.

Reply to
John Rumm