Well, that was interesting ... NOT!

Maybe his work boots need replacing and he was just measuring the miles he goes in a day becuse the requisition was refused. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

In article ,

Reply to
Tim Streater

I'm surprised there's enough copper in telephone wiring to make it worth nicking. Power cables I can more understand.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You seem to be relying on the thieving fuckwits understanding the difference and being able to identify which of the two is which.

"Ug. String tied to wood. Nick it." is probably nearer.

Reply to
Adrian

Reply to
zaax

Reply to
Nightjar

On 2014-09-25, Nightjar You think you jest. A local block of flats had several push chairs taken

I thought you were making a joke there, but "In 1997 legendary gun maker Smith & Wesson introduced a line of bicycles specifically built for use by law enforcement, security and emergency response teams." I didn't know that.

Adam Funk

every 3 months of so I see two police on horse back down mile end rd. London E1 doubt it's for speed, but they do look impressive. (the horses that is) .

Reply to
whisky-dave

The ones who try cutting through HV power lines with bolt croppers tend not to re-offend.

Reply to
Nightjar

I like the accessories on that site:

ISTR that when the local force bought them, some years ago now, the local paper did a write-up on what made them worth the extra money, which is why I wasn't surprised to see the name on the bike.

Reply to
Nightjar

We aren't talking a bit of two or three pair CW1308 with 0.5 mm dia wires. -) But 50, 100 or 200 pair cables in rural areas so to keep the line loss low enough for POTs to work with local ends measured in miles individual wires are quite hefty.

The wires around here are 1 mm dia, ie 0.785 mm^2 or 785 mm^3 per meter, 0.00896 g/m^3 = 7 g/m = 14 g/m/pair, 700 g/m for 50 pair. $6700 tonne = $6.7 kg $4.69 £2.89 m but it's not clean copper. Maybe

£1.50 meter? The holes tend to be 200 m apart so £300 ish per 200m o f 50 pair "recovered". The holes around here have 3 x 50 pair cables in them...
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It's "clean" when the thieving pikey scum have burnt off all the insulation on a bonfire...

Still £2/m - seems like a lot of work and hassle of finding dodgey routes to dispose of it through.

They'd make more money fixing drives.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Does it come with a "protected by Smith and Wesson" sticker?

Reply to
Adam Funk

They've put them out to hay round here ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

En el artículo , Nightjar

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

If you are into nicking cables and burning cables already know which scrappys will take it without asking too many questions. May even follow the new rules. Once a bale of burnt copper is shoved on the heap with loads of other burnt copper how can it be traced back to a particular bringer?

Far harder work, 200 m at £2/m two or three lengths £1000, for 5 to

10 mins at the roadside then a couple of hours being warmed by a a fire...
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

No need to, just jail the scrappy for accepting stolen goods.

Reply to
dennis

How do you prove the scrappy is handling stolen goods? One bale of burnt copper on the heap is the same as any other bale of burnt copper on the heap. How can you show that a bale of burnt copper has been stolen from BT/National rail?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

As a bulk purchaser, I don't see why BT or Rail couldn't special order a particular composition of cable sheath, and then they could test for residue after its burnt.

Reply to
Tim Streater

The trace elements they can add to the copper can be unique. Like smart water but in the alloy.

Reply to
dennis