Weatherproofing the curved top edge of shiplap (or T&G) gate?

I am building a wide garden gate in tongue & groove, with a curved top edge. If the top edge were straight, I'd keep the rain out of the end-grain by capping it with a length of triangle-section timber, but what can I use to cap a curved edge?

Thanks,

ZipD

Reply to
Fubar Bundy

Does it ned to have the rain kept out? One assumes the T&G will be treated timber and being at the top in free air will dry quickly, the enviroment in the timber will not be conducive for rot (too dry).

The rounded tops of the treated palings on our side gates are not capped, they show no signs of rot after over 5+ years outside. The bottoms of one which is less able to dry out are beging to look a bit tired though.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@srv1.howhill.co.uk:

Perhaps you are right. I think I'll just treat the top edge well with extra preservative and leave it at that.

Thanks

ZipD

Reply to
Fubar Bundy

More or less concur. (The fence and gate I made were not T&G - just palings. Maybe T&G would tend to retain moitsure lsightly more?)

But, had I wanted to do anything, I think a metal strip would have been my choice.

Reply to
polygonum