Weatherproof CCTV system

What is the cheapest weatherproof CCTV system available? It must have an LCD screen and be capable of 12V operation (possibly via DC to DC converter). Not concerned about colour, unless the monitor has an auxilliary input, which might be useful for DVD watching etc.

The application is for a reversing sensor/rear view mirror on my new minibus, which has opaque rear doors. Therefore, LCD is required for dash mounting. Also, mirror image functionality would be useful, although I suspect I can cope without for the right price.

I've seen L11AQ at maplin for 69.99 (which is cheaper than the official door mirrors!). However, this has a bulky CRT and doesn't have mirror image.

There's plenty of cheapish cameras from around 15 quid which could be wrapped in a bit of plastic, but the monitor could be problematic. I can't seem to find anything cheap and small, even in monochrome.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

converter).

Lack of replies so far, so here's my not-very-relevent answer.

Here are a couple, reversing sensor only

?ViewItem&category=36798&item=2488863954

Neil Jones

Best learn to drive then [1], what is wrong with your mirrors, if they are to small fit larger ones - if you can't see to reverse how can you see what is behind ?...

[1] especially if you are using this minibus for it's intended purpose :~(
Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Thanks for the links!

The second one wouldn't be much good, as I don't have a rear view mirror to hang it off!

However, even with the first link, I think that I would prefer a camera based solution for several reasons.

  1. I tow large trailers frequently. A radar/ultrasonic detector would have to be disabled when reversing one of these. A camera based solution would still be useful. In particular, at 15 quid a pop, I would probably have an auxilliary camera that I can attach to the rear of the trailer/caravan with a selector switch in the cockpit.
  2. I want to use it as a rear view mirror, too, as I don't currently have one and the door mirrors don't show what is directly behind, only traffic that is already overtaking.

I'm currently investigating 2nd hand portable TVs on eBay, if I can find one with an AV input...

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Well using it as a rear view mirror will mean a moving traffic offence or similar. If you learn to use your mirrors you will find that they give plenty of visibility, if they don't you need to fit larger mirrors. WTF do you thing drivers of lorries etc. see behind ?!...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

I did say they weren't really relevent...

Reply to
Neil Jones

They'll make a reasonable fall back, if I can't source a suitably tiny monitor. It looks quite difficult to get a 2.3" LCD screen with an AV connection.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

"Christian McArdle" wrote | The application is for a reversing sensor/rear view mirror on my | new minibus, which has opaque rear doors. Therefore, LCD is | required for dash mounting. Also, mirror image functionality | would be useful, although I suspect I can cope without for the | right price. | I've seen L11AQ at maplin for 69.99 (which is cheaper than the | official door mirrors!). However, this has a bulky CRT and | doesn't have mirror image.

How about mounting the CRT behind your shoulder and viewing it through a mirror on the sun visor? Cheap, no dash mounting, and would give a reversed image.

The 5" CRT monitor-tellies were reduced to 14.99 in Maplin after last christmas I think.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Another entirely non-serious suggestion - there's a Lambourghini which uses CCTV instead of a mirror - you might have to wait for JK to get his license back so he can write one off for you...

Reply to
Neil Jones

A google search will find plenty - but some are very expensive. Cheapest LCD colour I have seen so far is -

- cheaper is this green screen option if you decide to consider a CRT type

logized

Nice idea. It even still looks the right way round when looking over the shoulder. Unfortunately, it wouldn't be possible to use it as a rear view mirror, though. It would be reversing aid pure and simple.

Where abouts would I find them? With a 15 quid camera, some cable, some plastic and Araldite, that would make a system for under 40 quid.

At that price, I'll live with the lack of flatness. I'm sure I could find somewhere to mount it, but I can't find anything remotely like it on their website, except the 70 quid bundle, which is probably outside my comfort zone, especially with a CRT screen.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

JK ??

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

message

currently have

offence or

I have seen a number of lorries with rear mounted CCTV.

Also it is very rare to parallel park a lorry - but common to have to do so with a minibus (and to reverse into or out of a parking space). When lorries are forced to reverse they often require someone behind the lorry for safety.

Reply to
spam

But they don't use them a rear veiw mirors...

Bo**ocks ! Part of the HGV test is to reverse parallel park the lorry using nothing more than the standard mirrors. Not to mention drivers having to reversing on to delivery docks etc. with trailers on both sides and judging rear end side (swing out) clearances using nothing more than the mirrors whist in forward motion along the road.....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Hi,

All you need is a small wireless video cam powered off the reversing lights and a cheap LCD TV.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

"Christian McArdle" wrote | > The 5" CRT monitor-tellies were reduced to 14.99 in Maplin after last | > christmas I think. | Where abouts would I find them?

Err, Maplin :-)

Order Code VW58N - £29.99 - put VW58N into the product search on the maplin homepage. "The Order Code you searched for is not currently featured on the Maplin website. However, you can still purchase this Order Code by clicking the buy link below."

The Maplin ones have A/V input; the £25 ones in Woolies didn't. There was a useful article in "Television" magazine about these things a couple of months ago. They are all made with the same innards and all have the same faults.

Cash Converters / Cash Generator type stores are a good place to try.

There are gazillions of the things on Ebay.

?ViewItem&item=5719192477(Caveat Emptor. Check for AV inputs)

| With a 15 quid camera, some cable, some | plastic and Araldite, that would make a system for under 40 quid. | At that price, I'll live with the lack of flatness. I'm sure I could | find somewhere to mount it,

Can you hack out an air vent to give you a partial recess. Or vertically on the central pod, with a periscope style mirror on the sun visor.

Alternatively, if you don't mind dealing with Ebay sellers in Asia, flatscreens are about £60

?ViewItem&item=5716936833(Caveat Emptor.)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Lead singer of Jamiroquai (spelling?), well known for his love of expensive cars and, most recently, the loss of his license for 6 months for (tusk tusk) doing 105mph!

Reply to
Alex

Oops, looks like you can't get those iffy TV transmitters anymore.

Next best bet might be to run the RF from a conventional wired or wireless camera through a cheap modulator, eg:

With the right shaped bit of wire on the output it will probably reach a pocket TV a few feet away :)

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Oh, right, I was thinking about another JK, who would have to get out of prison first, let alone getting his license back, assuming the bastard gets out.....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

In message , ":::Jerry::::" writes

ISTR making the exact same comment when we were talking about distance (parking) sensors

Reply to
raden