Water, water everywh...err, in one specific location actually

Namely the conditioner compartment of my washing machine. It's a Servis (could probably find the model number if needs be) and there is always water almost to the top of the conditioner bit after a wash - it's clean water as I suppose as it whooshes in it's enough to turn the contents round and swill out the fabulously aromatic potion so my laundry's minty fresh, but both other compartments are empty when it's finished, as they should be.

I've set my level on the top of it and it's level in all directions...I can honestly say it's not something that's keeping me awake at night but I thought I'd throw it open to the floor and see if there were any ideas.

Reply to
Lino expert

My one's got a loose, inverted syphon type-thing that causes it to syphon the water out of the conditioner compartment. Is it missing on yours/

Reply to
Onetap

These things usually work on siphon. I had the same problem a while back, found the siphon tube blocked. Cleaned the tube with a piece of wire or something and problem solved.

Reply to
Heliotrope Smith

Aha! Cheers chaps, I'll have a dig about for a syphon thingy.

Reply to
Lino expert

There is a little pipe moulded into the bottom of the (removable) conditioner tray. This is set a length that allows the water to fill up the tray and run over the top of the little pipe. This little pipe normally has a loose cover over it. The cover is removable for cleaning purposes. The cover should not be touching the base of the tray, so as not to block off the little pipe. So you should have a gap right at the bottom, between the tray and the cover. Just a couple of millimeters gap.

When you use the washing machine and it reaches the conditioner cycle. The water dribbles in to the tray and fills it up to the level of the little pipe and overflows into the soap drawer. Because the little pipe has the cover over it, the action of the water overflowing creates a sucking action down the little pipe and the contents of the conditioner tray are syphoned out, even after the water has stopped dribbling into the tray.

What you might be seeing is a blocked little pipe, where the contents of the conditioner tray are being pushed out over the sides of the tray, rather than out through the little pipe. The conditioner is still being dispensed into the machine at the correct time in the was cycle, because the conditioner tray always has its own filling point, so you still get the full advantage of the fabric softener.

So check that the little pipe is not blocked by solidified fabric conditioner or summit'. Or the cover over the little pipe has not been pushed down to tightly so it is blocking the little pipe and not creating the syphon effect that it should. There should be at least a 2 mm gap between the bottom of the conditioner tray and the syphon cover.

Other than that, it's nought to worry about.

Reply to
BigWallop

That's probably the underlying reason then ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher