Water pipes make humming sound

Hey group,

In one of the loos of my place, the water pipes have an annoying habit of making a humming sound after the cistern is flushed. In fact, if you stand still in the room, you can actually feel the vibrations through the floor. Opening the taps in another part of the house temporarily gets rid of it (changes resonant frequency?) but this is obviously a wasteful way of fixing the problem.

What exactly is the problem the plumbing is facing, and how do I fix it DIY?

Removing the spout in the cistern that redirects the refilling water flow from a fountain (upwards) to more like a faucet (downwards) seemed to help for a few months, but now the problem is back :-(

Bear in mind the household is a female student one so please keep the procedures simple with no open-heart surgeries on the plumbing described ;-)

Thanks for any advice, skate xx

Reply to
sk8terg1rl

If you search through previous messages on this forum, there is a thread about this exact problem started by Brian Reay and dated 04/06/07 at 07:01.

Franko.

Reply to
Franko

Some one else has pointed you in the direction of a previous post with the same problem . You sure it isn't "water hammer" .

I don't understand about the water inlet pointing "upwards" . Surely this should point downwards towards the water otherwise when you remove the lid and flush the water will spill out on to the flooor. Anyway some recent cistern inlet valves have a soft plastic tube fitted to the inlet spout which goes below the water level and that helps to prevent water noise ( not your actual problem I know but it helps overall) .

Is this rented property ?.If so it is your landlord/letting agent's problem to sort out .

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart B

Luxury! Water flowing through pipes ... Ah I remember the days ;-)

Mark