water lubed coolant pump

hi all, I am repairing a coolant pump of a kenlow preheater setup on my car. a couple of days ago the pump jammed and on disassembly the cause was found to be little bits of grit that has caught between the rotating metal drum and the induction motor in its centre. after clearing the grit the unit works ok but I was wondering if its worth while lubing the spindle that the drum locates on with a dab of grease. I will also run the pump upside down i.e. with the impeller underneath the motor so as to avoid the natural 'sump' that caused the seize in the first place. anyone have any issues with what I propose or suggestions?

tar!

Steve

Reply to
R P McMurphey

Hi Steve,

uk.rec.cars.maintenance might be a good venue for your post. If you've found grit/sludge/crap in the pump it will also be spread around the whole engine cooling system. I would suggest that you make sure the cooling system is well & thoroughly cleansed before doing anything else. I imagine that by *drum* you refer to the impellor. A light dab of water/heat proof grease (copaslip?) on the impellor shaft won't do any harm and will aid dismantling in the future. I don't know the layout of the Kenlow preheater system but would suggest that you keep within the manufacturers guidelines as regards positioning. HTH Nic.

nickswan at zoom dot co dot uk

Reply to
Nic O'Demus

i ratrly cros post but did on this occasion to uk.rec.car.main as you suggest but as this is a such a fine group i thuoght id get some valuble oppinions on here too. kenlowe didnt recomed any particular orientation for the pump. car has now had a good power flush. by drum i mean drum which has the impellor molded into it. the drum then slides over the stator(?) with a v small clearance and is held in place by a spindel....(damn wish id kept that digi camra!) there apears to be no lube...ecept maybe the water.

steve

Reply to
R P McMurphey

Kenlowe - they're just crap.

If you _really_ need a preheater, buy a Canadian one and use a transformer.

-- Smert' spamionam

Reply to
Andy Dingley

What he said.