Water leakage through party wall into cellar.

I have a terraced house with a cellar. For 2 years it has been dry with an occasional slight smell of damp. About a month ago it filled up with about an inch of water. Over the weekend I dried it out completely, but this evening water has started to flow in through the party wall, about 4 or 5 litres in half an hour. I went next door and asked the lady if her cellar is dry. She went to look on her own and pronounced it dry. I'm not sure if I believe her.

What do I do? The water is definately coming from the party wall on her side. Will the buildings insurance investgate this? What does the party wall act cover?

Reply to
avocado

I used to live in a victorian terraced house where one of the drain pipes (I forget whether it was rain or bathroom) was actually concealed within the party wall, creating a small lake under the neighbour's floor when it failed. Lucky for me it didn't get in my cellar.

Reply to
Newshound

Check gutters/downpipes for leaks, or blocked rain water drain. The water board can test to see if it's tap water. I guess they check the fluoride or something

Reply to
Stuart Noble

This happened to me many years ago but the reason was that we shared the drain with the neighbour (it ran on the neighbour's side of the boundary between our 2 plots) ) and the rat trap got blocked (by my builders rubbish!). There was a gully in the cellar and the foul water started to back up through this. I did not have a party wall with the neighbour because the houses were Victorian semi-detached, but the point is that all sorts of reasons may be to blame for the water presence.

Maris

Reply to
Maris