Water flow measurement - flow cup or similar?

Is it worth laying out for a flow cup or similar, instead of calibrating a bucket with a measuring jug?

If so, can anyone recommend a suitable flow cup?

Preferably easily available and cheap :-)

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

A known capacity bucket is by far the simplest. Larger volumes make for somewhat more accurate measurements (i.e. a 14l bucket will be better than a 1l jug)

Reply to
John Rumm

Unless you are looking for accurate figures ( not sure for what purpose) roughly timing how long it takes to fill a 2 litre jug or 10 litre bucket ( they usually have a capacity mark on them) should provide figures accurate enough for benchmarking or looking for problems.

I have flow figures at different outlets of between 5 and 13 seconds for a 2 litre jug.

Reply to
robert

I would like to have a longer period than 5 seconds for the test because start/stop errors could skew the results.

10 litre bucket sounds about right.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

Run the flow for longer, but just direct 5 or 10 seconds worth mid flow into a container.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Used a 16 litre bucket with a clear panel graded in half litres :-)

Maximum flow was about 17l/min from the outside tap.

Static pressure 3 bar.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

Very similar to my last house then... combined with a 35kW combi the performance was ok. One very good shower at a time, or two reasonable ones. Bath filling was a little slow in the winter but not desperately.

Reply to
John Rumm

24kW British Gas (made by Worcester) combi but it seems to do the job.

So probably one reasonable shower at a time but it is a two bed bungalow so there shouldn't be too much competition for the shower.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts