Washing machine query. (1600 spin)

The time has come our machine is dying. It's had a good life but is now an incontinent OAP - It's going to give up the ghost imminently, but under a watchfull eye and speed of action a wash can be completed with minimum water leakage, and the drum has to be fairly well stuffed to keep an even weight around the drum so it doesn't seize up mid cycle. I am wondering of the subject...

So, 1600 spin. It's been around a few years now. Has anyone had any experience or problems related to a 1600 spin?

Is it significantly better than a 1400 spin? I have plucked a machine out of the millions and am just looking at the Hotpoint Aqualtis

(No preference to supplier, just the first one I stumbled upon)

Has anyone any knowledge of this machine? I can't warrant £1000 and upwards for a Miele 1400 speed so that's out of the question.

Many thanks for all responses in advance. Pete

Reply to
unknown

We got a bosch 1200 spin to replace our aged hotpoint 1000 spin.

We found out when we used it that the 1200 is only used for the cotton program, all the others use 800

Maybe the 1400 hotpoint is similar ?

Reply to
Dave

I always wash everything on a cotton cycle anyway. Just turn the temp. down to 40.

My old mum used to tell me anything with elastic in would be ruined by spinning to fast. Urban myth or genuine fact who knows.

:¬)

Reply to
unknown

We went through this recently. Despite buying a Miele dishwasher and tumble drier (both superb machines), we decided to try out an LG washing machine. 1400 spin, and 7.5kg capacity, with a direct drive motor. Excellent performance, and seems to be very well made.

Grunff

"Pet_@_www.gymratz.co.uk_;¬)" typed

My Woolworth's knickers don't seem to like being spun fast. The elastic trim seems to unravel, so your Mum could be right...

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

We had a 1400 spin Ariston, lasted two years before the bearings disintegrated. My electrician mate said changing bearings was a sod of a job and the reason they failed so soon is because of the proportionally higher loading on them due to the weight of the wet washing being spun at such a rate. He advised going for a maximum 1000rpm spin so I got a Bosch unit which has been great. Might be worth thinking about if u don't want bearings collapsing in a couple of years time!

Hellraiser................>

Reply to
Hellraiser

Thanks for the input. After much deliberation and an evening of research I got out my card. I eventually plumped for a Siemens WXL167AGB It was touch and go between that and the cheapest Miele at around the £500 ish price point.

1600 spin, a 6kg load and a door that opens the correct way are what tipped the scales in favour of the Siemans machine. Actually, if it wasn't for the door opening the wrong way I may would still have gone for the Miele!

Siemans seems to run a close 2nd to miele in quality from what I have read so I'll just wait and see.

(Just mopping up from my last essential wash cycle)

:¬)

Cheers Pete

Reply to
unknown