Washing machine

My washing machine has stopped turning and spinning. It still fills up with water and goes round the cycle but just does not turn. Any suggestions on a fix ?

with
I've always found that new brushes in the motor fixes 90% of washing machine faults, including those that look like faulty programmers, shouldn't cost more than 10 if you do it yourself. But make sure you unplug it first or you may not get a second chance...

If they were band/belt driven then I asume that you should hear the motor spinning away at a fair old rate (as it would not have any load on it).

Broken or slipped belt? (a big rubber belt which goes round the drum to drive it). Whip the back of the machine off and have a looksee. David

with
First things first Pete, make model and age of machine.

on
Probably failed pressure switch - very common. Thinks it hasn't got any water in it.
--
Woody

snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com

Blocked pressure tube is common, however the pressostats (Pressure switch) is probably the most reliable part on a washer.

Let's get basic here.,...drive belt?
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
It's an Aristocrat washer/dryer 1300 - probably 10-15yrs old. How easy are motor brushes to change and do you reckon it's worth my while ? Cheers
wrote in message
These are Hoover machines, they are easy to replace. just remove the motor and it should appear obvious.
Pete wrote:

I scrapped one of these last year, same age. The motor was u/s and it wasn't worth repairing.