Washer/Dryer doesn't dry

Hi, I have the Indesit Omega 1200 (WDG1295W) Washer/Dryer.

When I have a relatively small load of socks etc. and put them on to dry for

120 mins. following a thorough spin-dry, they do not dry properly. It takes a total of 6 x 120 min. sessions (12 hours!) before they are reasonably dry.

This is a washer/dryer with no air exhaust port, it just says in the manual that it uses the water expulsion pipe to get rid of the air (presumably this just comes out of your sink hole). It has always been bad, but seems worse lately.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Andy

Reply to
Moi

Sounds like the heater or a stat that is at fault. Does the machine even get warm, chances are that it is not drying them at all, they'd probably dry quicker on the radiator! Could be something more complex but check the obvious fist, check for power at the heater element. Check all the airways are clear and that the condensor is clean, empty, unblocked etc.

Have you had it from new? In simple terms the moisture in the clothes is dropped into a resorvoir then pumped into the waste. I personally wouldn't buy an Indesit, too many come from Indesit not working before we even plug them in!

SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

Reply to
Lurch

| Hi, I have the Indesit Omega 1200 (WDG1295W) Washer/Dryer. | | When I have a relatively small load of socks etc. and put them on to dry for | 120 mins. following a thorough spin-dry, they do not dry properly. It takes | a total of 6 x 120 min. sessions (12 hours!) before they are reasonably dry. | | This is a washer/dryer with no air exhaust port, it just says in the manual | that it uses the water expulsion pipe to get rid of the air (presumably this | just comes out of your sink hole). It has always been bad, but seems worse | lately. | | Any ideas? | | Thanks in advance. | | Andy |

Andy, I don't know this machine. However:

  1. Does it feel warm at all inside? - heater working? How about the fan (can you hear it)? - check your house electric meter after switching on the dryer/heater - the meter should go round showing electricity usage!

  1. Does the wash cycle pump water out OK? Then, check that are all pipes/tubes clear from beginning to end (including condenser to machine drain pipe).

  2. Is inside condenser clear too? if you can check it of course

NOTE: Please do NOT leave machine on the Dry cycle for so long!!

Cheers Archie

Reply to
Archie

i have the exact same machine and have in the past had the blower replaced, within warranty period. Does the window get hot when drying?

did you know the machine has a 5 year parts warranty? but i think you have to pay the man to come out and tell you what you need, no self diagnosis!

to be honest, i don't use it for drying anymore coz it's never been great.

MiniEmma

Reply to
MiniEmma

Thanks guys.

It does get warm, but nowhere near as hot as I seem to remember. Would that be the blower then, or the heating element?

I can hear something which I assume is the fan, as soon as I turn on the dryer, but before the drum starts spinning.

Either way, I'll check out the warranty situation. Cheers.

Andy

Reply to
Moi

Phew - £95 callout fee incl. labour! Apparently replacement parts *are* free on top of that, and according to the guy at Service Team they are only free under warranty if I use Service Team to do the work. Does that sound right to you guys?

My hope is I can find a cheaper company but still get the warranty parts free. Any suggestions?

  • I have just put the dryer on again to test what you suggested, and the glass is *not* hot, but there is a very slightly warm, humid air feel around the liquid tray and inside.
  • Furthermore when I hit OFF, I can hear the fan power down (it sounds like when the guy on the Death Star pulls that lever just before it's about to destroy Yavin, right?!)
  • My electricity meter does speed up slightly with it on, but not a great deal and not as much as if I turn a few lights on.

What does this troubleshooting suggest to you is the culprit? Heating element perhaps?

Cheers guys.

Andy

(presumably

Reply to
Moi

"Moi" | | * I have just put the dryer on again to test what you suggested, and the | glass is *not* hot, but there is a very slightly warm, humid air feel around | the liquid tray and inside. | * Furthermore when I hit OFF, I can hear the fan power down (it sounds | like when the guy on the Death Star pulls that lever just before it's about | to destroy Yavin, right?!) | * My electricity meter does speed up slightly with it on, but not a great | deal and not as much as if I turn a few lights on. | | What does this troubleshooting suggest to you is the culprit? Heating | element perhaps? |

Andy, if the fan is pushing air out through the drain pipe:

You could try pouring some hot water/steam inside drum and see if the fan is pushes any out through the pipes to outside - or even see any small air bubbles come out of drain pipe when you submersed its end SLIGHTLY in a jug/bucket of water, for only a SHORT time when the fan is running (if you can hear the fan then it's should be running).

The heater should have a noticeable effect on the electricity meter, no? - for comparison, try the same with your electric kettle, the effect on the meter should be comparable, no?

Reply to
Archie

The electricity meter doesn't whiz round anywhere near as much as if I turn on the kettle. The inside of the machine doesn't heat up when on dry.

Would you conclude this is a failed heating element?

If so, is it easy to fix DIY?

Thanks Archie.

Andy

Reply to
Moi

PS: It does heat up very hot when washing, just not when drying. Does washer and dryer share the same heating element? If so, it works, and I'm confused again!

Reply to
Moi

Andy

The wash/water heating element is usually in a straight folded shape (arm length) and sits down the BOTTOM of machine/wash tub, because that's where the water collects during wash.

The dryer heater more likely is on TOP of machine/tub (to protect it against water leaks) & is usually small & compact (like those fine-wire electric heaters/fan heaters at home), and so is completely different - the heater fan is often next to or is an integral part of the dryer heater unit (much like a hair-dryer all in one compact unit), blowing warm air into the tub - this is the typical design anyway.

I suggest a service engineer to do this - ask around or seek a local repair shop/engineer if you're overcome by the first expensive repair figure - some of these service companies are a pain when it comes to charging people - people must start complaining to change these ridiculous situations - it looks as if the parts are free in 'theory' and the money is recovered through high labour charge!!

| > Would you conclude this is a failed heating element? | >

| > If so, is it easy to fix DIY? | >

| > Thanks Archie. | >

| > Andy | >

| > > "Moi" | | > > | * I have just put the dryer on again to test what you | > > suggested, and the | > > | glass is *not* hot, but there is a very slightly warm, humid | > > air feel around | > > | the liquid tray and inside. | > > | * Furthermore when I hit OFF, I can hear the fan power down | > > (it sounds | > > | like when the guy on the Death Star pulls that lever just | > > before it's about | > > | to destroy Yavin, right?!) | > > | * My electricity meter does speed up slightly with it on, | > > but not a great | > > | deal and not as much as if I turn a few lights on. | > > | | > > | What does this troubleshooting suggest to you is the culprit? | > > Heating | > > | element perhaps? | > > | | > >

| > > Andy, if the fan is pushing air out through the drain pipe: | > >

| > > You could try pouring some hot water/steam inside drum and see if | > > the fan is pushes any out through the pipes to outside - or even | > > see any small air bubbles come out of drain pipe when you | > > submersed its end SLIGHTLY in a jug/bucket of water, for only a | > > SHORT time when the fan is running (if you can hear the fan then | > > it's should be running). | > >

| > > The heater should have a noticeable effect on the electricity | > > meter, no? - for comparison, try the same with your electric | > > kettle, the effect on the meter should be comparable, no? | > >

| |

Reply to
Archie

My washer dryer has just been repaired for this very thing, turns out there was a ball of fluff in the drainage pipe or whatever you call it in the back of the machine, the bloke had to hook it out with a bent wire coat hanger. Although the fan was still coming on there was no heat, the ball of fluff was enough to cause the heater to cut out it seems. hope thats vaguely helpful, could be the same thing Suze

Reply to
Sue

Hi again

My husband has just reminded me that we had more than 1 visit from the Indesit repair man about the dryer part of the washer/dryer - within the first year!!

As well as having to replace the blower, he had to DRILL OUT a metal filter plate of some kind, he told us it was an Indesit modification because they all cause problems!!

Hope this helps.

MiniEmma xxx

Reply to
MiniEmma