Wallpaper steamer suggestions please

My trusty steamer (Beeline Professional) has gone to that great wrecking yard in the sky, I (big mistake) lent it out, and water was left in it, so it has rusted through. Looking around there seems to be expensive professional ones around £130 or DIY at around £35, which look insubstantial. Any recommendations please?

Reply to
Broadback

In article , Broadback writes

My local hire shop uses Earlex Master Strippers and I think they're the bee's pyjamas but I'm afraid they're a bit expensive:

?id=24163 150quid

Screwfix have a cheaper Earlex too if you are prepared to take just the brand as a recommendation:

?id=22888 30quid or with a cleaning kit:
?id=86096 50quid

Reply to
fred

We had a green Bosch (£30, B&Q) which served us well throughout the stripping phase. My plasterer took it off me when I finished with it, and AFAIK he's still using it.

Reply to
Grunff

I have that one too. My previous model was an Earlex of about the same price, which lasted about 15 years before the male threaded connector on the tank for the steam hose snapped off. Think I prefer the Bosch; basically just a bit more ergonomic. Both are/were fine to use in practice and I really can't imagine coughing up 135 quid for a pro machine. But maybe they produce a better quality of steam?!

David

Reply to
Lobster

In message , fred writes

Yep, I've got one of those. stripped one house with it, ready for the next one now.

What to say, gets hot, makes steam, works.

I guess the pro one has better construction/materials, it has bigger tanks and element (but after using up 4.5 L I'm ready for break ...) the steamer plate looks a little bigger as well, But for DIY I can't see it is worth the money

Reply to
chris French

In article , chris French writes

What size is the steamer plate on yours? I've just given the pro one back after a hire so can probably remember the plate size of that reasonably well. I'm thinking that I may buy one of these for myself, possibly with the cleaning kit, as I've still a bit to do. I have previously considered the DIY models to be toys but that was based on those original B&D models with heater, tank and steamer plate all in on, what a joke.

Reply to
fred

In message , fred writes

Not sure where mine is at the moment exactly, still packec up after our move. But according to this

mm

The pro one has a longer hose and lead etc. and other niceties, but that was never an issue for me using mine really, I guess you just need to move it slightly more often..

Reply to
chris French

In article , chris French writes

I reckon for a 120quid difference I can stand the inconvenience. That plate does seem a bit smaller than the Pro, shame they give the plate size for DIY model but not the Pro

Reply to
fred

I've been doing some research.

Argos believe it or not have one thats not bad. And at the moment you get a =A35 back if you spend =A350.

Otherwise if your looking for a cheap one toolstation have one for =A318.

In relation to the BOSCH one. I have access to the siemens staff price list, they are selling the PTL1 for =A330 with free delivery.

Not sure if this is a good price or not ?

Reply to
andysideas

Thank you all for your advice, I went to Screwfix for the Earlex, quick test has left me happy, not yet used in anger!

Reply to
Broadback

Go for cheap. It's just a bucket with a heater in it, and as the real performance limit is the electricity supply then there's little improvement possible by throwing money at the problem.

I use a couple of Earlexen for steam bending. Haven't managed to kill them yet.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Gosh, surely not Aldi-cheap? They might blow up and destroy the place!

Reply to
Chris Bacon