wall mounted lcd/plasma screen: Hiding the cables

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is relevant here, but how did/would you guys hide the unsightly cables? The plastic trunking you can buy is probably not big enough because I have other cables to run through it and it's not very pleasing to the eye. Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
ian

I've not got one. However, when I wall mounted speakers, I would embed the cables in a plaster chase. I'd be inclined to do so in an oversize conduit channel, in case technology changes require cable replacement.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Dig a channel, bury them in conduit and plaster over it.

Run every cable that it's possible to connect to the screen (even if you have no intention of using them).

And then run a couple of lengths of multicore and a couple of lengths of speaker wire for good luck (you can use the speaker wire as a drawstring if needed).

Reply to
shaun

How much redecorating will be required if you dig a channel? Are you putting the screen on an outside wall? Do you have a cavity to poke wires through? Are you putting the screen at picture height (a mistake if you ask me), or at normal TV height?

Reply to
Grumps

As others have suggested, you really need to chase a channel out of the plaster and bury the cables out of sight in the wall. It would make sense to bury a conduit or trunking of some sort first and then run the cables in that so that they can be removed/replaced if they go faulty later on.

The only problem I can see - and I haven't got a wall-mounted telly so I may be talking out of my bum here - is the size of the connectors on the ends of the cables. It'll have to be one mighty diameter of conduit to allow the connectors through, won't it?

Mogweed.

Reply to
Mogweed

What's on the other side of the wall?

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Yes - imagine shoving a SCART lead up a conduit! I would rather have a trunking with a removable front - partially resessed then it is easy to change things.

Reply to
John

I've done it before. Obviously, it is best done before terminating the ends!

That could simplify things on the initial install if you want preterminated cables. Obviously, when it is plastered over things start getting more difficult!

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle