Wall Mirror Removal

I am redoing the bathroom which has a wall mirror about 1m x 1.7m attached to the wall by spots of glue. Don't know what glue but flat was built in 1991. I estimate the mirror weighs about 30kg. Any ideas how I remove it in one piece? I would like to reuse it! I realise I will need to put up a support to catch it when it comes off wall. Or is the only option breaking it and removing pieces. Thanks in advance for any help.

Reply to
Steve

Gently "saw" through the adhesive with a piece of fishing wire. It may take a while!

Reply to
Stephen Gower

If it's attached by sticky foam squares (fairly commonplace) then you might be able to saw it off the wall by using a long "garrotte" of strong, abrasive cord with a wooden toggle at each end (I use Kevlar kiteline).

I imagine you'll drop and break it though. This is a horrible job and rarely successful.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Cover the mirror face with strong sticky back plastic before starting.

If you do have a mishap it will hopefully reduce the amount of shards and crap which go everywhere and go some way to reducing injury. I would recommend stout leather gloves (builders type) and some eye protection, just in case.

Hopefully, if all goes well, you can peel it off and clean the traces of adhesive off with some alcohol or something.

Timbo

Reply to
Tim

Its very hard to get that glue off.

Yu have coices.

Smash the mirror. Easiest really. Remove mirror and wall together, and clean old wall off mirror. Cellulose thinners will do this. It's more or less a thick version of 'evostik' Use cellulose thinners on an edge and gardually work your way across.

I managed to pull our mirror of after it had been up a mere 40 minutes when SWMBO wanted it relocated a whole 3 " higher, and it was a swine, tooke bits of plaster with it and a lot of solvent to clean it.

Realistically. smash it and get a new one.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And if there is a radiator below it, place something across the top to stop the mirror sliding straight down and behind the radiator. I had one of those glass photo clip frames fall of the wall and straight down behind a 3' radiator. Had to take the radiator off.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

Unless your wife holds it while you do the clever stuff.

Ultimately most things depend on wives ...

:-)

Mary

Who's done it - with the help of Spouse (that is, he did the sawing, I prevented the falling)

Reply to
Mary Fisher