Wall anchors

Hi chaps! Not been here for so long I doubt anyone remembers me.

Anyway, the question.

I am trying to mount a sink to the wall of my bathroom. The wall is lightweight block, with drywall, and two layers of tiles.

And I am stumped.

It doesn't help that my original plan failed.....

I drilled 15mm holes through the tiles and plasterboard then inserted special lightweight block anchors into the blockwork. The anchors are like big, hollow, plastic screws packed with Tommy Walsh's smiling face on the front, so clearly they must be good, right?

I then inserted the double ended (wood thread/machine thread) studs which came with the sink into the anchors, and found that they didn't reach out of the wall far enough to get the nuts on.

So I got some 100mm screws and attempted to use them, and managed to pull the anchors straight out of the blockwork.

So, I now have two 12mm holes in the blocks behind 15mm holes in the plasterboard and tiles.

Last night, in desperation I tried glueing the anchors back in their holes with tile adhesive, though I anticipate further dismal failure.

Will sleeve anchors work in lightweight block?

Perhaps I could araldite the sink to the tiles?

Current plan D is spring toggle anchors with the screws replaced by suitably long studding. Any comments or better ideas?

Reply to
andy the pugh

The message from "andy the pugh" contains these words:

You say you've already drilled 15mm holes? If the substrate isn't too loose araldite some studs in. Plenty of goo and it'll not go far.

Reply to
Guy King

I know that at least one does.

That'll have to be left for a while before it's got any strength.

You could make up a gop of body filler/resin which makes an effective fixing in these blocks.

Just hang the basin (I assume) on the plasterboard (sharp intake of breath)?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Yank everything out and clean up the holes, then inject epoxy resin (make sure it gets right to the back and into any cavities) and push a measured length of threaded rod (or stud) into each hole. Use a cardboard template or masking tape to hold the studs exactly where you want them for the sink, until the resin starts to set. In half an hour they'll be strong enough for you to stand on them.

Reply to
Steve Walker

In message , andy the pugh writes

What is on the other side of the wall? I have a sink and a shelf attached to a similar wall with threaded rods straight through the wall. Although it wasn't necessary in my case, other side is a garage, I sank the washers and nuts into the wall so they could be plastered over.

Reply to
Bill

Close, but glue the studs, rather than the sink.

you suitable studs and resins for wall fixing.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle