Virus check...

You jest.

There's gazillions of people who still have no idea that their browser's homepage doesn't have to be btinteryahoogle.com, let alone that they can change browser, or get email from elsewhere...

Reply to
Fevric J Glandules

[viruses]

Still plenty of viral emails kicking around: I have a relatively unfiltered email feed, partly so's I can get a feel for what's going on out there.

Reply to
Fevric J Glandules

Not greatly; my entier extended family, from ages 10 to 84, have all moved their email elsewhere, and all withut me suggesting it would be a good idea.

Reply to
August West

It struck me a couple of days ago that the whole situation is like having one dominant car company that ships all its cars with bald tyres and duff brakes. As a result there's an enormous after-market in five-point harnesses, roll cages, fire extinguishers and even replacement air-bags.

Reply to
Fevric J Glandules

Interesting - I don't think I've ever come across anyone using that definition for ISP. By that meaning, presumably someone running a website on a machine at home also qualifies as an ISP? (or is there some usage level below which "providing an IP-based service on the public Internet" doesn't apply?)

Reply to
Jules

Are there no viruses on Macs because no one uses them? Or maybe the apps are too boring? Must be something. (warm isn't it ) :-)

Reply to
jake
[ISPs vs "internet service providers"]

'zackly.

"ISP" has come to mean "bit-provider" - even amongst professionals. A bit like "broadband" has ended up meaning "anything faster than dial-up".

Reply to
Fevric J Glandules

: > I'll confess to being one of those irresponsible people who : > increases their mythical 'carbon footprint'. I receive a LOT of : > email, and several thousand spams each day, which I doubt an ISP : > would be as efficient at filtering. : : I used to receive thousands of spams but my ISP has fixed their : systems and the spam no longer consume entropy and thus carbon by : being sent down the wire to my house.

I reduced my spam count from several thousand per day to around 15 or so simply by disabling the "catchall" facility on my domain name. Now I only ever even see mail for the 4 addresses I've told it about and what gets through is almost always weeded out by filtering it through a spare gmail account kept for the purpose.

Nothing unwanted has made it to the inbox for months.

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

Lucky you.

A certain "MISTER BROWN" of "DOWNING STREET, LONDON" keeps offering me "FOUR HUNDRED BILLIONS OF POUNDS" if I can only come up with some bank details, like which ones I own.

Reply to
Fevric J Glandules

In message , at

17:50:26 on Wed, 8 Oct 2008, Jules remarked:

It's very common, you must have led a sheltered like.

There are various regulatory definitions, but the one I'm using involves offering a commercial service to specific subscribers (although sometimes free of obvious charges), including email, domain hosting and connectivity.

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at 22:53:38 on Wed, 8 Oct

2008, August West remarked:

They all operate in the same commercial, regulatory and standards framework.

There's no point in trying to draw arbitrary lines between companies who offer (eg) connectivity and web hosting, and some of whose customers take just the connectivity, some take just the web hosting, and some who take both. To all three classes of customer they are simply "an ISP".

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at 23:16:36 on Wed, 8 Oct

2008, August West remarked:

I found that relatives were using Hotmail as the default, without even considering whatever their connectivity-ISP-that-week was offering (probably not a sufficiently useful webmail if my own experiences are anything to go by). One has since registered a domain name, which I organised for them, and the email is forwarded to their hotmail account.

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at 00:11:22 on Thu, 9 Oct 2008, Fevric J Glandules remarked:

Of course there will be a few still going round, but the main action is elsewhere.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Re: spam

ROFL!

Reply to
Brian L Johnson

Whether they do or not, the service the ISP provides should work.

And yes, to judge by the mail we receive, the bulk of people use their connectivity provider (ICP) for email.

Some ICPs (aol, bellsouth, att.net) are draconian in their rejection of valid emails, because some spam has been forwarded via a legit server.

hotmail is a problem too: any email written in hotmail purports to be multipart/altenative. But the plain text version is completely unformatted and essentialy unusable.

Reply to
Richard Torrens (News)

Both really ;-)

Actually its a minority target, and a harder target than windows.

So mostly viruses leave em alone.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Does your ISP throw away *all* attachments then, or just all attachments containing executables? Because there've been some very quickly mutating ones lately which are getting through good AV software because they change so quickly. And they're much better at convincing social engineering techniques to get people to open them. We've had pretty clued up people here caught out by a supposed message from UPS about a delivery because they were *expecting* something with UPS.

Reply to
Eleanor Blair

The key on any mail that tries to redirect you to a website is right click on the link and see where it takes you.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Depends entirely on what you use to read your emails...

Reply to
Huge

In message , at 10:02:51 on Thu,

9 Oct 2008, Eleanor Blair remarked:

I'd had a few recently with the classic "message from your ISP" saying that they've detected a virus on my PC and here's a program to clean it up. Apart from that being a well known line, they've made a hilarious assumption about who my ISP is, based on the domain name.

Reply to
Roland Perry