Virtual Box

I downloaded this as one of these home computing networks where 'thousands'? of home computers are meant to help with scientific research. The project has failed to configure itself properly, and I've uninstalled the project software. Is there any value in my retaining the Virtual Box application - it's uninstall would appear to be a command line in the DOS window.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Don't know what one it is, but they doo allow you to run one operating system within another of corse.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

VirtualBox is open source (except for the USB connectors and remote console, IIRC, which are commercial), so if you find a use for it you can always download the latest one and reinstall.

I used to use Vbox a lot until I changed over to KVM, running virtual machines for trying things out in. Of course Microsoft insist you must have a separate licence for each VM that's running Windows inside, but other operating systems are available ...

Nick

Reply to
Nick Leverton

Only you know if you have a use for it, I suppose :-) I run Linux as my main OS, and have a vbox setup for running Windows 2000 when I need to do something where it has to be Windows and there's no Linux equivalent (I think the last time was well over a year ago)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

It's sometimes useful to use it as a sandbox - so you can create a virtual machine with your current O/S and experiment, or run dodgy software, in that knowing that you're not putting your main system at risk. If things go pear-shaped, just delete the VM and your main system is intact. If you want to play with Linux and your main system runs Windows (or vice-versa) then it's convenient to run the "guest" O/S in a virtualbox VM. Again: just to keep some degree of separation between the two.

I have a VM that runs an old copy of Windows 2000 with my legal copy of Photoshop, that I'm too cheap, or law-abiding, to update. I find no problems with this use and it saves the hassle of having to do any migrations.

Reply to
root

Not entirely true. With W7 Professional (and, I assume, Ultimate) you can run a Windows XP VM without any additional licence.

Without checking I am not certain if you would be covered to run multiple VMs at the same time. Or not.

Reply to
polygonum