victorian/edwardian houses or new houses?

Page 3 of 14
Mark wrote:

Easy, take a leaf out of my book..

What would be the resin for that?

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall wrote:

Get knotted.

I'm stumped!

IMM wrote:

No surprises, there then.

You never do surprise me.

But the first time he's admitted it?
--
*Pride is what we have. Vanity is what others have.

True - they'll think we're all barking.
--
*Upon the advice of my attorney, my shirt bears no message at this time

I've just twigged what this is all about.
PoP
PoP wrote:

You are a sap if it took you that long.

On 9 Jan 2004 07:20:20 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com (ANt) wrote:

A new house will come with a ten year structural warranty - your Victorian one with nothing and if you discover a major problem having bought it you are on your own. Building insurance covers no structural problems other than subsidence and surveyors have long since learned to make themselves sue proof. The risk in buying an old used house is significantly higher than in buying a new one.
--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

People I know are moving in to a brand new build (large house builder), and it's bloody awful. They've got an attached garage with a stud partition wall between that and the living area! The finish is shockingly poor. One of the "bedrooms" is 6x6 feet. They do have double-glazing, though. We've got sliding sash windows that rattle a bit.
Our 1902 house, on the other hand, has bricks between all downstairs rooms, and even one upstairs. I suppose it depends if you want to put a shelf on the wall.
--
Hywel I do not eat quiche
http://hyweljenkins.co.uk /

Sounds like a worst case example. I can show you 5 bed new houses that are very solid and well made.

says...

I'm sure there are many like that, though I've never seen any.
--
Hywel I do not eat quiche
http://hyweljenkins.co.uk /

You don't have to look too hard to see them.

says...

No doubt that's the case and I didn't mean to sound as though I'm some sort of authority on them.
--
Hywel I do not eat quiche
http://hyweljenkins.co.uk /

Large new houses are available. They also have far higher insulation levels making them more comfortable in summer and winter.

Generally you buy a house to live in and not to marvel at the architecture. What is wrong with a pre or post war semi, or a modern 60/70/80/90's house?
You buy the one with the rooms the right size for you, an appropriate kitchen and bathroom layout, enough room to move about, and future development adaptation potential etc etc.
Any older house will generally have more maintenance costs. But over the period you plan to keep it you have to decide whether the 20k new house 'premium' is more than the cost of maintaining your older house. You could buy an old house with all the maintenance done by the previous owner - so maintenance free for the next 15 years.
Then you have to consider your day to day running costs - heating and power supply and if the plaster will fall off your older walls everytime you re-decorate. New hose generally cheaper to run, but again is the premium more than you will spend on heating?
For any house, if it is structurally sound then your only real concerns are location, access, living space and running costs. Any house from any period has a general design style - if that style and layout is appealing to you then that is the type of house you buy. You should not buy it just because it is 'victorian' or 'modern'.
dg

Where do you get the idea that any house, new or old, can be maintenance free for 15 years? That's why there are so many crap, poorly maintained, houses on the market.

Newer house are more in demand in some areas, hence the higher price for them. Owners know they are relatively trouble free and cheap to keep warm. They tend to come with utility rooms and proper plumbing and electrical systems, not bodged up and added to over years stuff.