Valve for towel radiator?

Hi I would like my towel radiator to have constant but adjustable temperature which is independent of the bathroom temperature. What type of valve should I use, normal or thermostatic Thanks

Reply to
Rafal

Nothing like impossible (or at least improbable) dreams! You don't say why you want this.

A thermostatic valve will regulate the room temperature - make the towl rail hot when the room is cool and vice versa.

If you don't regulate at all, as long as you have enough flow the towel rail will reach a few degrees below the temperature of the bolier once (if) all the radiators are fully up to temperature or turned off, and assuming the room is well insulated. Depending on the size of the room and the output of the towel rail the room could get very hot!

If you use a manual valve then the temperature of the rail will vary with demands on the rest of the system and the temperature difference betwen the rail and the room.

Sounds as though you need a valve controlled by a thermostat which is strapped to (or internal to) the towel rail. Not a standard set up AFAIK. You could achieve this with a zone valve and a thermostat such as the one you normally strap to a hot water cylinder (which cuts off the flow of hot water once the tank just next to the thermostat reaches the configured temperature).

So, possibly achievable.

Again, why??

Only thing that occurs to me at the moment is that you run your boiler very hot, and you don't want someone to scald themselves by touching the towel rail. If so, surely you have the same problem with all the radiators?

Cheers Dave R

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

Hi Dave, Thank you for this extensive explanation. The reason for stable radiator temperature is to avoid getting to hot and "burning" towels. I did have this problem with an electric towel radiator. Rafal

Reply to
Rafal

temperature

Use a thermostatic radiator valve mounted side ways. You will find that this can be adjusted to give you about the right sort of temperature for towel drying.

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

This should not be a problem with water heated towel rails. Thermostatic valve should do fine.

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

A regular TRV will respond to the ambient temperature, but you can get versions which respond to their internal or valve body temperature so ideal for towel rails. It is likely to be a special order item at most places, but the Danfoss FJVR can be ordered from

items 15764 & 15765 or

15766. £25 all up. Details:
Toby

Thanks Toby, this is exactly what I was looking for. Rafal

Reply to
Rafal

Happy to help - been down this road myself.

Reply to
Toby