Using nails to secure pipes

Under the bathroom floor I have found two large pipes from the boiler downstairs which pass diagonally through a joist. These pipes are "held in place" by two nails whcih are hammered into the joist at an angle. (I could post a photo if someone could tell me how to do it!). Is this standard practice? Should I be worried? Should I do anything about it? Many thanks for any replies.

Reply to
kent

Supporting pipework on nails was standard practice with iron pipework. All the original gas and water pipework in my house was supported that way, and in the case of gas, these nails also supported the weight of the gas lamps hanging from the pipework. I can't imagine the connection you mention with pipes going through joists, and if nails have been used with copper or plastic pipe, I would say that's a bodge which might eventually result in wearing a hole in the pipe.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Copper pipes (28mm?) & steel nails. Job done about 15 years ago, I guess. The joist has been notched diagonally to let the pipes through. So looks like a bodge! I feel inclined to leave it, but be aware of its existence, unless someone can suggest an easy solution.

Reply to
kent

If you have access, a couple of inches or more as necessary. of pipe insulation over the pipe centred over the nails would not cost much and might save any further damage.

I suppose the concern is what's happening where you don't have access.

:-(

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

I think I've sussed out how to upload the photo:

you can see it!

Reply to
kent

Nope ..sorry .. Try Photobucket.com

Reply to
Stuart B

Thanks. Can you see this?

kent

If you are looking down on them just get the nails out carefully and check for leaks.

If you are looking up then ditto for the nails and suspect real problems. Maybe replace the sections involved. You can then hold them up with plastic ties nailed higher up the joist.

If getting the nails out is a problem, cut the wood back a bit and chop the nails through. Put some tape over the pipes.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

pencil lines along the line of each nail and drill several holes downwards along each line deep enough to touch the nail. When you've drilled to the end of the nail you will be able to 'work' it without damaging the adjacent pipe.

Once the nails are out screw or nail a metal protective plate across the exposed pipes.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D- Hide quoted text -

Thanks. I'll carefully remove the nails and put over a protective plate.

The photo is taken from above. The nails aren't really holding the pipes in and the pipes are a tight fit in the notch. I guess they might have been put in to reduce vibration, but that is only a guess. It might be difficult to fit pipe clips and I am wondering if there is any kind of paste or mastic that I could put in the notch to reduce possible vibration? The pipes get quite hot. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Reply to
kent

================================== I doubt if you'll get any significant vibration but you could put a thin sliver of plastic between the two pipes to stop them rubbing against each other. I would suggest chopping something out of a plastic microwave dish for this purpose to ensure it can cope with the heat. Don't confine the pipes too closely or you might get screeching / groaning noises as they expand and contract.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D- Hide quoted text -

You can buy a matting for that. But any rag would do I imagine. The shoddy used for underlay is ideal. Don't bother with the drilling idea, just saw down besides any awkward nails and pull them out if you can -or knock them in/bend them out of the way.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

I did decide to carefully drill before removing the nails and they came out easily. Thanks. Parts of an old lasagne tray now have a new lease of life as pipe separaters! Thanks to all.

Reply to
kent