USB Fan

Looking for a decent but inexpensive USB fan to be used in a foot cooler project. (Don't ask!)

I can see untold numbers of cheap Chinese USB fans, and some incredibly expensive ones, and I am getting tired of reading through flatly contradictory reviews... Does anyone have any specific recommendations?

Needs to produce a decent airflow (at least, decent within the range possible with such a device). Needs to be reasonably tough (again, within what you could reasonably expect from such a device).

Reply to
polygonum

Might this be a possible starting point?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Anything that is likely to produce a decent airflow probably will be noisy.

A USB port only supplies 5V with a MAXIMUM current of 0.5 to 0.9Amps (some wallwarts designed for charging devices may be able to supply up to 5A) so the designers of the fans may already be limited with what they can supply unless they are also supplying the power brick.

What about a cheap main powered fan heater with the heating elements removed? The airflow is then ducted to where it is required. Some of the cheap fan heaters already have a element off (cool) setting.

Reply to
alan

My laptop usb ports provide upto 1 amp, and my desktop usb ports provide upto 2.5 amps... but those are high power ports sold as such... normal usb ports should be half an amp.... tho a netbook i used to use dropped the voltage on the usb ports when on battery to around 4.2 volts, not sure on current capacity, but the lower voltage was playing hell with the arduino i was trying to use.

Anyhoo, i got a cheap usb fan from dunelm mill last year, 5 quid reduced to

2 quid at the tills as it was just after summer, 6 inche metal wire blade guard, 4 very basic metal bent blades, about 5 inches diameter, rated at 3 watts the label says.

Didn't expect much from it, but it is actually perfect for what i wanted it for.... to cool my head when i am driving my bus simulator wearing the bus drivers cap with the TrackIr sensors attached to it, it sits to the left of my dashboard on the desk, so prolly 5 ot 6 foot from my face,

yes i know i could have got a mains fan, or a 24 volt one to run from the dashboards psu, but i also wanted the usb fan to take with me to the hackspace in summer, as i overheat easily in summer, so a small fan i can have plugged in to my laptop or a wall wart is very handy.

Reply to
Gazz

I have a battery USB source with a rating of 2.1A - so potentially over

10 watts.

It needs to be light. It needs to work both in and away from a car. It needs to work away from mains. Ducting is way out!

USB seems such a simple and obvious approach for my purpose - and, except for some fans, quite inexpensive. I am happy that, at their best, USB fans can do what is needed and at an acceptable noise level. One possible fan is sold by Muji - but £25 is a rip-off price.

Reply to
polygonum

Definitely an interesting idea - will see if I can get there tomorrow. Thanks.

Reply to
polygonum

Damn - they don't list any now.

Reply to
polygonum

I got one from lidl/aldi a year or so ago. Powerful, not too loud. £4 iirc. 2 speed.

Looks identical to this at Maplin

Simon Cee

Similar in B&M Stores

alan

The lidl/maplin[?] fan is all metal [innc blades] which makes it pretty tough. Mine has been dropped several times with no damage.

Reply to
Simon Cee

Many standard Pc fans work on 5v, just add a lead. Adding 4x screw + wallpl ug in the corners is handy too.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Be warned you may drag down the USB bus ... if you are plugging direct into PC USB socket ..... if you are plugging into a mains powered USB Hub that is a different matter.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

It would most often be a USB socket in a car lighter socket, or a battery with USB output. Occasional use on computer output is possible so thanks for the warning.

Reply to
polygonum

Hmm - how long till they are in again? :-)

Reply to
polygonum

tbh it was probably 18 months ago - not seen them since. IMO the fan is probably worth the £8 maplins are asking - but thats subjective obviously.

Reply to
Simon Cee