UPVC skirting

Hi all,

Is there such a thing as upvc skirting boards and if so, who sells them? I'd like to go over to zero maintenance solutions to interior embellishments if at all possible and have always found painting skirting to be a pita.

cheers,

cd.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I can't imagine anything worse as a skirting! It'll scratch first time you sweep or Hoover and then you can't even paint it to rectify! We have quarry tiled upstands to form skirting in various tiled areas. Plain hardwood is a good tough compromise possibly in carpeted areas ?

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

PVC paints very easily. Oil based without needing an undercoat.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Try googling upvc skirting :-)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Yes there are, but IME uPVC seems to scratch pretty easily.

There's also "foil" covered MDF.

For example:

MDF skirting boards that are pre-finished with a hard wearing plastic covering, like Contiplas. I used some (bought on Ebay from a company in Glasgow), with a silk finish, in the living room; cut the joints pretty tight and just ran some silk emulsion into the joint with an artists paintbrush.

A year on it seems to have survived without any marks at all after being hit by the end of the vac, various toys and three kids.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

It does exist though, but most seems to be completely hollow inside and it does look well tacky. Its also available as a prefab base for greenhouses by the looks of it.

I think its not the scratches as much as the way it gets kind of ground in dirt afer a few years. It was in a local ymca building I saw some years ago. dunno wher it came from. I suppose you can make anything you like out of it if you want to. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It will look crap ..... OK if it;s in a garage ... but not in a living area.

I have my own design Hardwood skirting & architraves throughout the house ... all done in Ash with a Sikkens Cetol clear finish. It is not zero maintenance - but been in place for 10 years and still as good as new, at some point I'll re-coat .. but not yet.

Reply to
Rick Hughes