UPVC Door/Frame Problem

Went to lock the door in this house and it didnt want to play ball...........turns out the person who fitted the front door has put the frame fixings in the wrong place, they were also protruding......so as it was lashing with rain, late at night and needed door locked, I tightened up the frame screws so the locking mechanism would work...

Job done he says.......................get up in the morning to see that my frame fixings tightning has resulted in the inside part being forced out off the wall breaking the silicone seal and as a result there is a lot of wind coming through and it looks rubbish...

Any ideas on whats best to do bar or taking whole lot out as guessing the fixings are going into a plug of some description or can I just relocate them to the proper location or would it to harm just leaving them out at the sie worst affected or maybe just remove some?

Reply to
Gogs

Frame fixings are typically supplied with an integral plug; the idea is you drill through the frame and into the wall, hammer the fixing home, then tighten up the screw - so theoretically at least, you ought to be able to fit new frame fixings (and remove the duff ones) without actually removing the frame.

David

Reply to
Lobster

It sounds like you may need to re-drill the holes

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Problem is now its going to leave holes if I move all of them to their rightful place...do you get UPVC filler ;)

How important are they would I get away with one side out, I notice when they have done the back door, they have done 5 fixings aside, 3 bottom and zero top...

Front door is 5 one side, 6 the other, 3 bottom and two top...difference is they are in the right place at the back door...wonder if the apprentice done the front door, seems like a silly error if this is your line of work day in day out

Reply to
Gogs

Are you suggesting having no fixings at all on one side? If so, don't understand why all the fixings are apparently fouling the locking mechanism. And, no, that wouldn't be a good idea if you want half-secure door.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Its that 5 point locking or whatever so it can get fouled in other parts not just near the lock....however front Door which is the problem child due to fixings being in wrong place..... 5 one side, 6 other side, 3 on bottom and two on top, so its fixed all round, just in the wrong place......the back doors has 5 aside, ie each side, 3 on the bottom and none on the top.

Anyway what I have done is leave the fixings where they are on the front and screwed the inner facing or whatever its called to the wall and capped it off so it looks a bit neater...if only people would take a bit of pride in their work wouldnt have to bother....now need to seal it as the porch has now been renamed 'The Fridge;

Reply to
Gogs