Untimely airconditioning thread

Page 5 of 8
On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 19:52:09 +0000, geoff wrote:

Thank you.

Hear, hear and s/cool/cold/

Quite. It doesn't get unbearably hot until the low 40'sC. Last time I was in "hot" it was 43C in Elat, 6l of water/day and I was only just keeping up my normal urine rate. That was dry heat so you didn't drip. Thailand and Malaysia where humid but only in the 30'sC so not a serious problem. Bit of shock coming from Beijing at sub zero temps to Bangkok at 30C though...
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Singapore to English winter - landing with a thin silk shirt on - brrr
I find it hard to believe what a nation of wimps we're turning into.
--
geoff

writes

Maxie, that is so true.

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 23:55:42 +0000, geoff wrote:

Agreed, was a bit nippy yesterday afternoon airtemp around -1C Moderate Breeze (F4, 15mph) wind chill down to between -10C and -15C didn't stop No.1 son wanting to go out for a walk, sans hat and mittens. Mind you he wanted to come in get them within 5 mins but we went straight back out again.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

I was pottering in the garden yesterday in my shirtsleeves.
I don't have any problem with cold - I just hate the heat.

You mis-typed. You should have written: "It doesn't get unbearably hot until 25."
But that's not the point. The point is what is pleasant to live and work in? The answer to that is about 21 degrees and 40 per cent humidity.

He is talking about normal people. The figure is 40.

Wrong! usually about 22-23C. And I have had to address the office thermostat wars. I took them away.

I dout it. I have been at similar lattitudes on other continents and they are fuck-all use there.

That's right. Under 21 degrees.

It was hot. I had the numbers to prove it.

Simple, heavy insulation and a fan ventilating the place (over the computer equipment is probably best) is what you need. While converting the loft install the extra insulation and ventilation which will be probably a lot less than 550.

IMM wrote:

You're missing the point - when it's hot, moving air is all well and good, but high humidity means your sweat doesn't evaporate very easily. Aircon will bring the humidity in the room down to a nice low level, making it much more comfortable.
I've worked in both air conditioned and fan cooled environments, and aircon wins hands down.
--
Grunff

computer
lot
A properly design fan cooled office beats air con any day. It requires heavy insulation and correct design of ducting and fans.

Occasionally, I check the articles of yours that my newsreader kills to make sure you're still posting moronic drivel.
Check.
Huge wrote:

I refuse to killfile him - far too entertaining.
--
Grunff

Life's too short, though.
Huge wrote:

I know what you mean - I colour code all his posts, a lovely orange, so I can read them when I have some time to waste...
--
Grunff

Very wise. You will be very much educated by doing so.

Not by the village idiot though...

Are you still inhaling nicotine on mass scale?

No ! I'm a non smoker, but a non bigoted one like you...

Nice to know.