Untimely airconditioning thread

Page 1 of 8
After the many discussions we had over the summer about aircon, I decided to go ahead and install one, in readiness for next summer.
The room is a very modest home office, 3.5x4.5m, with lots of PCs and two people in it most of the time.
I went for a split unit for obvious reasons and I wanted about 2.5-3kW. After talking to a supplier, they managed to convince me that I ought to go for a cheaper generic Chinese unit rather than the Fujitsu which I initially wanted.
Given that the Fujitsu was about £950, and the unit they recommended was only £550 all in, and that it would only be used for say 2 months of the year, I decided to go for the cheaper one. I may end up regretting that, I may not - I don't know.
The unit included all the hoses, multicore cable and brackets for a complete self install. The install was a piece of cake - the hardest part was the 3" hole through the 2' wall.
Once you've installed it, you bleed off a small amount of refrigerant through the system, which flushes out the air. That's it - no vac pump needed.
It's now running fine (there was a minor problem with the main indoor unit fan rubbing on the case, but a small modification fixed that).
I will post if it breaks or anything bad happens.
--
Grunff

Add pictures here
βœ–

What make?

βœ–
IMM wrote:

It's called Millenniumair. <http://www.uk-airconditioning.co.uk/millennium.htm
--
Grunff

Add pictures here
βœ–
Grunff wrote:

Have you tried it in heat pump mode yet? If so what is it like? What outside temerature does it give up at?
--
Cheers,

John.

βœ–
John Rumm wrote:

No, I haven't - in fact when I ordered it I thought I was getting a non-heat pump model.
TBH it's pretty irrelevant since the room has a great big radiator in it!
--
Grunff

Add pictures here
βœ–

Any chance we could persuade you to try it? The application I have in mind would benifit as much from heat in winter as cooling in summer. I've tried to find some additional technical info on the heat pump mode but failed. mikej
Add pictures here
βœ–
mike.james wrote:

No problem - just tried it.
Took a long time for the outside unit to reach temperature, but once that happened the fan kicked in and it started blowing hot air. Difficult to estimate the output, but I'd say at least a kW, probably more.
--
Grunff

Add pictures here
βœ–

as
but
And that's presumably at our current outside temperature i.e. about 3 or 4C. mikej
Add pictures here
βœ–
mike.james wrote:

No, I stood outside with a big hair drier pointed at the unit :-)
Sorry...
Yes, with outside just about 2C here.
--
Grunff

Add pictures here
βœ–

4C.
:-)
Its not 100% clear where you are in the world - you might have been some where hotter than 2C given all the programs on giving up the UK for Spain etc. there are on at the moment. mikej
Add pictures here
βœ–
mike.james wrote:

I know - I was only joking.
I'm in Devon.
--
Grunff

Add pictures here
βœ–

So you are somewhere warmer :-) - I'm in North Yorks and its about 0C at the moment. mikej
Add pictures here
βœ–
Grunff wrote:

<snip>
How noisy is the unit? Would you be able to sleep with it on? I'm looking at a similar project for a loft conversion, so the noise factor is important, as the room will be a bedroom.
Also, what are the power requirements? Did you need a seperate feed from your consumer unit, or is it a relatively low consumption?
Finally, the outside unit: I'd be looking to place this reasonably high up on the wall, out of the way: how big and how heavy (ie: easy for one man on a ladder, or bloomin' difficult will do!) is that part?
So many questions - sorry!
Regards Paul
PS: Mind if I ask where you bought from?
Add pictures here
βœ–

A Haier? We have one of those. It's been totally reliable for 4 years. And it got run more-or-less continuously for most of this summer past.

I'm interested in the answers also. Our current unit is a monbloc and we're thinking of installing a split unit in the bedroom, because the monobloc is too noisy to easily sleep with, and the condensate tank fills up after about 5 hours, waking you up in the middle of the night anyway...
I'd want a split unit that I could take with us when we move, too. There's a reasonably priced HP unit I saw that only has chilled water & power running between the units, so it's easy to disconnect. Anyone know anything about that?
βœ–
Huge wrote:

A Millenniumair <http://www.uk-airconditioning.co.uk/millennium.htm
--
Grunff

Add pictures here
βœ–

Ta. I'm looking at the page now.
βœ–

Right - that's something else to go on the Christmas list.
Add pictures here
βœ–

You are kidding?

βœ–
Paul Boakes wrote:

We sleep with a fan on in the summer anyway - so that may prejudice my feelings.
The fan has different speed settings. On medium, it's about the same noise level as our old 3 speed fan on full. So yes, sleeping with it on would be fine.

It's 3kW, so just plugs into the mains.

It's large (~3'x2'x1'), and weighs about 30kg (~60lb). I wouldn't want to carry it up a ladder on my own.
I mounted it at head height on the outside of the house. That was easy.

No problem, that's why I posted.

<http://www.uk-airconditioning.co.uk/millennium.htm
--
Grunff

Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 13:07:40 +0000 (UTC), Paul Boakes wrote:

Ceiling fans on slow speed are near enough totaly silent and make rooms very comfortable it doesn't take much air movement for this. Though I appreciate that getting a 4' dia ceiling fan into a loft conversion might be a bit problematical...
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail