Underlay + glueing of Engineered wood flooring

After much searching, I think I have finally found the prospective flooring for my lounge/dining room. Total floor area is ~40m/sq. Substrate is concrete currently covered with vinyl tiles. The flooring that I intend to fit is Wickes 'Real Wood flooring Layered Natural Oak

199-985' at £24.99 per sq.m. This is single boards 145m wide with a 2.5mm Oak layer and two further layers of ply - total board thickness 13.5mm. Each board is T&G with a click retention on the joints. Looking to the group for some advice on fitting.

1) What is the best type of underlay to use. Previously with laminate floors I have used the green fibre-type underlay (~8mm thick). Is this suitable for engineered flooring

2) Given that the T&G have a click feature, would it be advisable to glue also?

3) Looking through the group postings, lots of recommendations for Elastilon-type underlay. Is this necessary/recommended or overkill for engineered flooring given the whole point is that it doesn't expand/shrink/cup like solid flooring. If I go for self-adhesive underlay, will the floor sound a lot better?

4) Where the two rooms are connected, the floor levels are different by around 3-4mm. I was planning to put a threshold there rather than risk running the floor directly across. Any recommendations for a supplier of such threshold. Needs to be around 1600mm long.

5) The Wickes product is slightly above my budget (particularly if I need to buy posh underlay. Any other recommended products? The look I am after is wide natural oak planks.

TIA

Dennis

Reply to
Den

Probably. Ive got a plastic foam, but don't like it that much.

Waste of time IMHO.

Its always going to sound like a thin sheet of wood over an underlay..that's what we dislike the most really.

It DOES expand as well. leave teh recommended gap at teh edges and cover with skirting.

Make your own out of a bit of oak and a router.

I reckon at that price its a bargain..I paid over £40 a square..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher