Underfloor heating failed or just RCD

Brother in law asked me to take a look at his bathroom undefloor heating - the RCD supplying it keeps tripping off, but only after it's been on for 30-45 minutes or so.

I disconnected the load (heating cable) from the back of the control (timer/thermostat) but left the temp sensor connections in place. The RCD still trips.

I then disconnected the temp sensor wires and the RCD doesn't trip.

There's no CPC connection in/to the control unit itself, and no provision for one - it's all plastic, but there are two CPCs linked together by a terminal block in the back box (note not 3 CPCs as I might have expected - supply, load and sensor cables).

So it seems to me that it's either the temp sensor cable gone faulty (in which case the heating is a write off - underneath tiled floor) or the RCD has gone faulty - over sensitive maybe. I noticed when I push and hold the test button on the RCD it buzzes, even after it has tripped off. I don't have the kit to test the RCD properly, but it might be worth just replacing it and see what happens - it's just mounted in normal surface box outside the bathroom, and also has fuse in it's faceplate.

Any thoughts?

Reply to
DavidM

SNIP

Doesn't your own logic narrow this down somewhat? Time to get some money out and use the correct test equipment on the sensor circuit.

Reply to
cynic

It's possible that the sensor might be replaceable. I seem to recall that our sensor was placed in a tube in the tile cement specifically so that it could be replaced.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

There's no reason a dud sensor would write off a heating system. If its the sensor, you can simply run the system without one by reducing the power to it, or add a temp sensor on the surface.

NT

Reply to
Tabby