underfloor and central heating

Hi,

We have just bought a house in the country without central heating. I have installed radiators in all rooms, and just need a boiler to connect to them. But the issue is oil or electric? With oil I'll also need to install a double skinned tank (with extra costs). Also I'm looking to install underfloor heating in the kitchen where the floor is 4 inches lower than the rest of the house. So am I going for a wet system and connect it to the boiler, or am I going to install the electric cable heaters (not the mats)? Has anybody any views on this, and also any ideas on running costs?

Many thanks,

Erik

Reply to
erik69uk

Oil will be 2-3 times cheaper to run.

I';d put an aga in the kitchen meself..you need about 6" of depth for wet UFH..3" of screed and three inches of insulation.

And a separate pump and manifolds, zone and so on..

I love UFH, but I wouldn't bother in your case.

Simply shove a bit of poly down, and a bit of pipe in the screed where your feet go, and then put in a radiator on the end of it. If you use copper in 'trinking' in the screed or even push fit plastic, it will warm up the screed a bit.

.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I did just that a 10 years ago, I went for oil and with a 1200l tank no bunding is required Titon make one (actually more than one in different shapes) as long as the location passes building regs ie not to close to the house and a certain distance from fences., Not that many people in this area follow that!!

The cost of oil does vary quite a bit, I have paid 9p p/L and 35p p/L.

Electric heating is probably the most expensive followed by Propane, Oil (at the moment) is probably still the cheapest.and has even come down in price, according to my last fill. Sometimes if you have a week or so before it runs out it pays to get the latest price and watch the trend. you can save a few quid on 1000+ litres. A bit like gambling on the stock market... buy buy!! pity you can't sell it as well..............

Storage heaters are horrendously expensive to run even after 10 years of oil our bills are still lot less than the days of storage radiators!!! I am fitting mats in the kitchen next week (laying slate) and all the figures show it's a lot more efficient than radiators.......

Des

Reply to
Dieseldes

Don't even think about electric if oil is a possibility. The only possible reason to have electric where other alternatives exist is because you have your own private hydroelectric supply.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

On Fri, 3 Nov 2006 16:31:34 -0000 someone who may be "Christian McArdle" wrote this:-

Or one doesn't intend to be in the building for a long time.

Reply to
David Hansen

Or if it is superinsulated. The heat demand will be so low it is then financially feasible. Low capital cost of installation and no annual service charge for a boiler, brings the annual overall charge right down. Nice to have solar panels on the roof to assist and keep the bills down even further. In a superinsulated house the cost of DHW will totally outstrip any space heating costs.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

An Aga? Only Little Middle England would say that.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Efficient? Do you mean cheaper to run? Tell us what your bills are when you fit the stuff.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel