unavailability of traditional solvent paints

Thought I was going to have trouble finding "proper paints", but toolstation have a range of "Flag" paints of solvent / resin type. Look like the traditional stuff. 1 and 2.5 litre tins. They say "high VOC". What exactly is restricted and how ? Cheers, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Talking to the tech support at Johnstone's the other week, they were saying something like this:

The VOC levels even in high VOC paints have been reduced. Current high VOC paints are in some ways more like water-based paints than "traditional" paints. The differences between high VOC and water-based still exist but have reduced considerably over the years. Water-based still tend not to yellow but do lose surface. High VOC still tend to yellow.

Rod

Reply to
polygonum

Bloody water based paint in our second toilet has yellowed very badly after around 2-1/2 years - despite there being no natural light at all in there and the lights only being on for less than half an hour a day. Even the door is shut virtually all the time.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I painted a bathroom door and the architrave in the same paint a few weeks apart, a few years ago. The door has yellowed a touch but the architrave has not ! Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

That's chemical yellowing then, not light. And I'm not talking about childish pranks either. Most likely it's toilet cleaner fumes.

IANACE (I am not a chemist either)

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow